'Prancing Horse' on the back roads of maine

bigd003

(disclaimer- yeah a lot of cars are faster, have more HP, cost less and do more or whatever, this isn't meant as who wants to buy what and why type of thing, just a car nut sharing a fun time with other car nuts. I say this, cuz in the MS chat it digressed to Atoms and suped up Wagons being better for a lot less. Obviously haha. Also, if you don't like fast and dangerous, don't read, or at least please don't preach)

Long winded as usual, but hey, hope someone enjoys. I did
default_biggrin.png

Hello everyone, I just wanted to do a post about a very chance opportunity I had a couple days ago… I was out bombing around in my Foz when my trusty low fuel light came on which prompted me to pull into the next petrol station I happened across. As I pulled in I spied a big rig, which is common in this particular lot, but that’s about where normalcy ends; the back of the rig was ajar, lift ramp descending with the payload aboard. The weapon- a 2011 Ferrari 458 Italia, beautiful gloss black with massive carbon discs and red calipers peeking out from their quarters, nestled inside wheels shod with rubber bands. Wide rubber bands.

I forgot that I needed gas, and my car started toward the rig like the arrow on a compass trains on magnetic north. I pulled up, snagged my digi cam from the bag, jumped out and clicked off a few pics. It wasn’t long before the car drew a small crowd, but by then I had the truck driver occupied. He was surprisingly cool and not bothered by the perma-grin on my face, letting me snap pics inside and out of the car, even parking it up next to the foz for a few shots. I thought that was pretty cool. Then he started it back up for me and revved it a few times, making it bark, which sent shivers down my spine and made me exclaim obscenities in excitement. Not good enough I thought, in my heart I wanted a ride. Badly.

So, I decided I had nothing to lose and played a card based on the fact the man was from Vegas and not being a stranger to a good time, so I invited him to come chill with me for a while to kick back for a few… During which time I talked the guy taking the car out a for a spin and letting me go with him. Wooo Hooo I thought. He said he could take it for a couple mile up the road and back, and that he would have to go easy on it.

Fast forward to the ride. I had to take my sneakers off, not a big deal really. I’m in the car, snapping pics, looking around, the car idling while the guy asks me to “figure out how to work the stereo, and find some good rock, cuz we cain’t leave till we have tunes man”. Complicated is all I can say, haha, but I got him tuned into the Frank and we were finally motivating. It must have took me five minutes, and I’m thinking we are just going up the road a bit…

We pulled out, and as he was about to give it a squirt, a crappy Accord pulled out in front of us, boooo! Luckily it turned off our course and then…. Right foot to the floor, my head slams back and I’m pinned to the seat, flat foot paddle shifting through the dual clutch gears, second, third, fourth, shift light and audible beeps going off just prior to each flick of the right fingers, each time a kick in the back as the car punches forward Smile. He asks me where to turn, he’s in my neck of the woods and I know where to have fun. “Go up here and take a right”, miles of good road, straights and long sweepers, with all kinds of options to get back. Like a rocket, we took off, banging through gears, the car torque steering and tires fighting for grip as this guy hammers on the virgin car with absolutely no mercy. He tells me, “wow this thing only has 240 miles!” haha, we are going no less than 130 and he sees a minivan, steps on the gas and the van becomes a few frames of video as we literally almost fly past it, then comes a VW, I tell him “get’em” and he guns it down.

It was non stop, a brief time on 295 and we saw speeds of 185 in seventh gear, several other back roads, rolling starts and burnouts, overtaking weaker prey, waving at onlookers and having a blast. At one point he told me that he had never done anything like this, I concurred and thanked him very much for the thrill ride. By this time we had put a very quick 40+ miles on the car and still had a couple roads to hit before we returned. He asked me to take a picture of him driving the car, to send to his son with a message, which I gladly did and promised him I would do. He then went on to tell me that I reminded him of his son, and that he wanted to share the experience, and asked me if I would like to drive the car. I don’t know if I even spoke. I turned, got out of the car, sock feet and all, walked around to his side and traded places. I was so anxious I was shaking a little haha. I felt like I was about to kiss a girl for the first time or something.

Sitting in the seat, he tells me just take it for a loop and pull off before we get back so we can trade places again. I was cool with that. He also mentioned that I could go fast, but to be careful haha. Wow. Here I am, driving 300 grand worth of Italians finest, and it could be one of the most thrilling things I have ever done in my life. I clocked 17 miles on the odometer. It was awesome. I passed a few cars, did some weaving, accelerated hard, went realllly fast and the guy just smiled haha. Oh yeah, I turned the radio off for my drive, as you can imagine the engine was making plenty of music.

So we traded places yet again, hauled back to the rig, and put the horse back in the stable where it would await its owner, new reins and an undoubtedly more relaxed and tame lifestyle.

Thank you very much truck driver!
default_additional_thumbsup.gif

Here are a couple shots, and a cool vid. Most of my vids are way too big to put up, but this is one of him blasting through a few gears up to a lil over 150! Watch his right foot, never picks it up, and we stop accelerating mid way through 6th. I said 150 at the end, but the guy later told me we were at over 160 hahaha!

150 run.MOV

cockpit.jpg

fozandferrari.jpg

rearends.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Stein

Stein
I have to admit, I don't really fantasize about Ferraris, but that sounds so amazing... Fast car on back roads is never a bad thing.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
if it wan't for the pix of the actual car with actual MS Foz, plus being posted on 31 March, I'd be tempted to pass this off as "evil April Fool's Joke"

but......sometimes life is pretty dang cool. what else are Ferraris for except for blasting everything else on the road....and for sharing with fellow car freaks. what a great convergence of awesome car, awesome caretaker, and awesome luck for bigd!!

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Lucky guy! Excellent write up.

Most people in Maine don't even see those cars, let alone drive them.

What was the name of the trucking company, so I can not send cars though them
default_biggrin.png

Oh yeah, don't mind people in the chat room, we end up arguing/debating/benchmark racing everything. We'd argue about what pant leg to put on first but no ones brought it up yet...

bigd003

Hey guys, thanks for checking it out. I do feel like a lucky bum! Very glad I had my camera to get proof, otherwise it wouldn't be worth talking about. I wouldn't lie about something like this, not even on April fools haha. I'm all for debating stuff, just didn't wanna see the post turn into one about budget tuners with sick stats.

I'm addicted and crave more more more hahaha.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
I'm addicted and crave more more more hahaha.
it's easy to drive a Ferrari every day all year long.....Just Apply Money (and apply Large Piles of it with a bucket loader or dozer)

heh Ferrari recently started building the ideal Maine winter commuter... just came out with a hatchback model of the California, front engine V-12 with AWD!!! GTFO!

RedForester08

Just to add to the Ferrari Exotic we saw while in NY.The Outback across the street is what caught out attention first. NOT
default_unsure.png

P1010080.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bigd003

my first subie was an outback just like that! same color scheme and all. That looks like a 360 Modena? Exotics are fun to get up close and personal with, great pic!

Vertigo101

Once you go Subaru nothing else is the same
that's an amazing story and can you post all your pics of that bad a$$ car?

Latest posts

Back