Project for school

I am currently working on probably the largest school project I have ever undertaken. My plan is to build a wood gas generator and compress the gases into a cylinder of some sort. The cylinder could be used for grills, heaters and with modifications even on a moped. An advantage is that you don't have to burn just wood, any biomass that resembles wood can be used. It is possible to draw the wood gas directly off of the generator and pipe it into a grill, small generator for power outages and even a propane heater in a garage.

My biggest problem right now is getting a compressor set up and putting out the pressures I would like to have. My thought is to use the A/C compressor out of my car, A/C no longer works and I have had plans of pulling it out anyway. Does anyone know what they put out for a pressure or how to "hotwire" it so I can test the pressure. I have test equipment available for me to use if I can get the compressor rotating. I just don't want to drill and pin the clutch if the compressor turns out to be junk anyway.

Legacy22GT

whats the pressure you're looking to achieve?

maybe an old air compressor, you might be able to find one at a junkyard or transfer station.

whats the pressure you're looking to achieve?

maybe an old air compressor, you might be able to find one at a junkyard or transfer station.
I'm looking for 250 psi atleast. Most air compressors put out 150 psi max. I read that some A/C compressors can put out 40 bar which is over 500 psi.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I know I'm a bit late to this, but your AC compressor would probably make upwards of 400psi. They're scary things to play with.

All you have to do is give 12v to the compressor clutch wire.

But here's the thing, it has to be constantly oiled. So there's oil in the refrigerant that keeps the compressor oiled. Using it standalone, you need a oil injection and oil trap system. Your best bet is a york style AC compressor out of an old american car. They can be found pretty easy in junk yards. They're a two piston super powerful compressor with an oil sump. So you don't need oil in the air to lubricate it.

It would stand up much better.

Also, that's a pretty cool project. Interested in seeing how it goes.

I know I'm a bit late to this, but your AC compressor would probably make upwards of 400psi. They're scary things to play with.

All you have to do is give 12v to the compressor clutch wire.

But here's the thing, it has to be constantly oiled. So there's oil in the refrigerant that keeps the compressor oiled. Using it standalone, you need a oil injection and oil trap system. Your best bet is a york style AC compressor out of an old american car. They can be found pretty easy in junk yards. They're a two piston super powerful compressor with an oil sump. So you don't need oil in the air to lubricate it.

It would stand up much better.

Also, that's a pretty cool project. Interested in seeing how it goes.
I had found reports of an output pressure of 40 bar which is almost 600 psi. As far as keeping the compressor lubricated I am going to do a test run without an oiler system. The reason is that refrigerants tend to carry the oil into the system but I don't think the wood gas will. This aspect of the project will be a pure trial and error experiment My HVAC/refrigeration professor said he would be willing to help me with an oiler system if it needs it.

Latest posts

Back