Question about plowing snow

Car Whore

Ok,my parents' neighbor plows his snow to the right of his driveway,which ends up collecting on the back side of their garage.When it melts,it ends up flooding the floor of the garage.He claims he has nowhere else to put it.My parents just planted some shrubs along their property line on that side in hopes of stopping him from doing it this year.Well,they all died.There isn't much sun on that side,but I wouldn't have put it past him to spray something on them.My dad is finally gonna ask him to put it elsewhere because of the flooding problem.He's probably gonna come up with some excuse why he can't.You can just pull snow back onto the road,can't you? He legally can't put the snow on their property anyways,right?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
NO he can't put the snow on your paren'ts property. tell him to put it behind his garage

Redline

Alright, I'll break into my schedule to throw my $.02 in...

Legally, the neighbor is completely wrong. Legally, he should pay for any flood damage caused by the melting snow that he piled up against the garage after being asked not to. If any damage was done to the siding as a result of the pressure caused by the weight of the snow, he's liable for that too.

You cannot plow snow INTO the street. You may plow it across the street, onto another lot, however. Plowing snow into the street causes a road hazard, and you can be fined if a LEO isn't feeling friendly that day. Also, if an accident occurs... you get the point.

My advice is for your parent's to go to The Home Depot and buy some large REBAR. Plant the REBAR into the ground right before the freeze. Make sure it's right ON the property line. This way, he can't plow over them without making it obvious that he really doesn't give 2 shits about shit. If this happens, file a property damage claim and be a dick.

Or you can just go talk to them guy and express your concern about the flooding and keep repeating yourself until he complies...

Car Whore

Ok,here's a pic of his house and driveway on the left,and you can see my folks' fence and garage in the back on the right.He pushes the snow into that gap to the right of his garage,right against their garage.Where else can he put the snow? The front of his house on the left maybe?

e1c0cb3a0d4ba2f619224654379a74890_large.jpg

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Ok,here's a pic of his house and driveway on the left,and you can see my folks' fence and garage in the back on the right.He pushes the snow into that gap to the right of his garage,right against their garage.Where else can he put the snow? The front of his house on the left maybe?

e1c0cb3a04ba2f619224654379a74890_large.jpg
Front lawn looks fitting to me.

4WRXter

Skier!
Does your folks property line continue along the fence line, straight out to the road? I would rather have snow plowed onto the lawn in between the road and front part of that fence, than flooding my garage. Harder for him to backdrag or plow out, but.....Just a thought.

And as stated, legally, he can't put snow on someone else's property. If it comes down to it.

Redline

Snowblower path, FTW. All the way down the right hand side... spread it out so it melts more uniform.

Or plow it up under the crab-apple (???) tree.

Extend the fence! ;D

Redline

Oh, and back-dragging DOES work. Just get the neighborhood porker to sit on the plow for a few feet.
default_wink.png

Or he could backup the truck into his barn, drop the plow and push toward the street.

Laziness.... FTFL >
default_biggrin.png

mikebike357

If he is MOUNDING it against your parents garage, that's a problem... if I were that guy, I'd just put the snow between my driveway and your parents fence the whole length of the drive. Angle the plow, take a couple swipes moving the snow to teh side... Where else is he gonna put it? Against his house? Too hard to plow it all into the front yard.

I don't see your parents garage in the pic... how close is it to the property line? Could they continue the fence all the way to the corner of their property? If it's just the runoff from the melting snow that goes their direction then there's really not much to do other than try to redirect the flow of snow melt away from the garage through landscaping, french drains, etc.

I had an issue at my old house back in Pittsburgh where the neighbors yard was sloped directly to the back corner of my house. Heavy rain or snowmelt caused a creek to flow from their yard... across my yard and all the way down my long ass driveway to the street. Landscaping could have fixed it... I lived with it.

RedForester08

He can put the snow anywhere on HIS property that he wants. He Can Not put it on anyone else's property without permission. In Sanford it IS illegal to push snow across the road. Now the gray area of this is is IF he is asked to not STORE the snow as to damage the adjacent properties in writing then they "may" have a case for damages. Example. A customer of mine told his neighbor that he should remove a Huge dead pine tree hanging over his yard and offered to remove it for him no charge as he has an excavating company.

The neighbor said no F-in way. The next spring it fell and trashed the front lawn. He was found to be liable for the lawn repair and the tree removal. Have the letter sent certified mail. This will show proof that he was notified of the issue. Get a section of snow fence at Lowe's or home Depot and put it up on the Property line.

If he runs out of room on his property for the snow he'll just have to pay to have it hauled off.

These are just my opinions and an example of what might be done. Good Luck

Car Whore

If he is MOUNDING it against your parents garage, that's a problem... if I were that guy, I'd just put the snow between my driveway and your parents fence the whole length of the drive.

4WRXter

Skier!
It looks to me that even if he puts no snow onto your folks property, they could have a flooding problem. The garage is just so close to the property line. Ask him if he will plow out, put it against the fence as much as possible, and/or put it on the front lawn.

It looks to me, like the wood framing of the garage is actually below grade level. Some of that siding appears to be below the lawn. It's going to be near impossible to keep water out without lifting the garage and maybe putting a couple of courses of cement blocks between the floor of the garage (pad) and the wooden structure. IMO

Is it possible for the neighbor to plow snow past the end of the garage? Even if it meant the snow would be on your folks property, it might be better than up against the garage. Even if it meant cutting a few trees, it might be worthwhile. Just a couple thoughts. Good Luck.

Car Whore

It looks to me that even if he puts no snow onto your folks property, they could have a flooding problem. The garage is just so close to the property line. Ask him if he will plow out, put it against the fence as much as possible, and/or put it on the front lawn.

It looks to me, like the wood framing of the garage is actually below grade level. Some of that siding appears to be below the lawn. It's going to be near impossible to keep water out without lifting the garage and maybe putting a couple of courses of cement blocks between the floor of the garage (pad) and the wooden structure. IMO

Is it possible for the neighbor to plow snow past the end of the garage? Even if it meant the snow would be on your folks property, it might be better than up against the garage. Even if it meant cutting a few trees, it might be worthwhile. Just a couple thoughts. Good Luck.
Thanks a lot.I think you are right about the garage being too low.They have flooding problems in heavy rain,too.Maybe we'll ask him if he can plow it further back like you said.He probably won't want to in fear of tearing up his lawn,but it's worth a try.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
just wait till the ground freezes solid.

also make sure your parents keep that garage wall clear.

Latest posts

Back