R/C cars! AGAIN..

smelt240

So my wife and I picked up a couple of HPI RCs from the big Mardens sale, 1/8 nitro buggy for me, 1/10 stadium truck brushless for her. Building a track this spring, anyone up for stupidity???  I haven't raced in 20 years....

smelt240

I got an HPI trophy 3.5 buggy RTR for $255, and we got the wife a 1/10 Bullet 4wd stadium truck brushless RTR for just over $200, they have some accessories left, and a few high end cars that people don't know what they are... Team Durango, and a couple X ray kits, some Associated stuff, fuel and stuff like that is a great deal, I paid 20 bucks for 2 gallons of VP, they have a few planes and boats left too, its all at the Lewiston store downstairs. We got 2 small brushless boats for our pond for $60, couple Trinity Lipo packs for $30, lots of goodies, tires are 50% off.... on and on.   I got the buggy mostly broken in, then the recoil broke. Waiting on the roto start to come in now, screw that recoil. Ive rewound it 7 times, and it still isn't right. As soon as the snow melts, me and the good ol John Deere will get going on my track.  I have 7 weeks of vacation and comp from all this snow, so ill have time this year to play...

MuddyWRX

The electric stuff is pretty amazing these days. I've been playing with electric/foam planes for a year or so they are quiet powerful and most importantly, easy.

smelt240

I just tried rewinding the recoil 3 more times. Last time. I wont be rewinding that one again.  Pulled a double knot that was hot glued thru the pulley. All done. Tower Hobbies says less than a week Ill have my electric start.   I like the brushless a lot, but like the noise of a 2 stroke more.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
I have a couple. An associated sc10 built to race and an axial scx10 solid axle rock crawler/scaler.

Also have a smaller helicopter (not from a gas station lol)

Electric ftw nowadays. Nitro is definitely outdated tech when it comes to rc IMO.

smelt240

On the first break in run, the recoil let go. No big deal Ill rewind it. Right.  7 rewinds, it just keeps letting go.   Fine, Ill just order a rotostart from Tower Hobbies.  Anyone on here that knows me, knows my luck.       That didn't work, got sent the wrong one.       Looked up the right one, out of stock til late April.      Called HPI, no luck, none in the country.      One is coming from England now.      So now we'll see next week... might be back up and running.  Side note, Im looking to buy a Baja SC truck, 1/5 scale gas power. No nitro.  If anyone is interested in racing this spring, let me know. We will have 2 brushless stadium trucks 2wd and 4wd, the nitro 1/8 buggy, and hopefully 2 1/5 scale trucks or a truck and buggy by the time snow is gone. Im not sure how big of a track the Bajas will need, but I have to have one.... so that means the wife needs one so we can race.

smelt240

And I cant find a Baja to save my life.  I really want to see it in person before I buy it, but looks like tower hobbies might be my last resort.  Losi makes a 1/5 scale gas 4wd buggy that looks interesting, but that 1/5 short course HPI truck just looks awesome. And its bigger.   Think coffee table going 55 mph sounding like a YZ80 motocross bike. Yes.

MuddyWRX

Ray and Robin's doesn't have one? Seems like every time I've been over the last few years I've seen one, but I haven't been in a while.

smelt240

Ordered a Rovan 5SC truck last night. Went back to Mardens and bought the Kraken TSK cage and body panel set to turn it into a rock crawlerish buggy. Plus picked up tires and some other goodies. 30.5 CCs of fury...  40" long, 45mph stock.... they sound like a 250r or something...

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
I just picked up an Axial scx10 Honcho. Awesome little crawler. I'll slowly upgrade it with time.

smelt240

I looked at the axials, they look awesome!  Ive heard theyre pretty realistic as a scale crawler too...  I tried to post a video of the Kraken, but cant, its on youtube, Kraken RC will get you there, its the huge kraken video in rc adventures.  I have some super secret vinyl work in the making for the sand rail conversion, this thing is going to be an absolute riot.  Also got my trophy buggy fixed, the rotostart finally came in from England.  That thing is pretty evil, did some really nice smokeshows on my deck with the new street tires installed. Motor is broke in, as soon as the road dries out, Ill get it dialed in.

smelt240

The Rovan  5SC should be here mid week.  $649 shipped, add 2 stroke gas and 8 batteries for the radio.  I got the clear body, but they come painted for the same price.  We need a fleet of these things to race this summer, and bash around in the sand.

smelt240

Ive had the 1/5 scale truck for a week or so now. Its awesome.  A little break in and tuning, and now it sounds like my old Banshee. Got some custom vinyl work coming soon for the Kraken cage, Mardens is 70% off all that stuff now, so my basement looks like a Baja shop.   All the HPI Baja parts fit the Rovan. If I had a good camera, Id shoot some video, its scary how big and fast this thing is, and just plain loud.

smelt240

So I got the Baja on radar at 44 mph, which doesn't sound like much, but when that's how many pounds it weighs, and how long it is in inches with no body mounted, its FAST.  I got a bunch of VP race fuel premix at Mardens for 3 bucks a gallon, tuned it on that, and it goes really good now. Runs super cool, sounds a lot better too...   My vinyl will be here mid week, then ill post some pics of everything.  I have enough top end parts to build a couple 2mm stroker motors, one at 36 and one at 38mm bore, should pump out a little power... If anyone is interested in picking one up, theyre $650 shipped, sounds like a lot, but its a really cool toy to have.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
I've put all metal gears in my transmission, new metal shocks, upgraded motor for lower crawl speeds, and a few other odds and ends. Mine doesn't go fast at all now lol.

smelt240

They have some Axial stuff over there, some scale parts, some roll cages, plus some misc parts, its all 70% now, but I heard it might be going to 90% real soon, if it does, I can grab some stuff for you, $100 worth would be $10....  I might get one of those things soon. looks like fun.

Latest posts

Back