RallySport Direct's BRZ: The Albino Rhino

header_rsd_logo.jpg

DSC_8544media-309274_610x407.jpg

In June of this year RallySport Direct acquired a Subaru BRZ and we nick named it the Albino Rhino. Over the past few months we have played with the car and began to experiment with different parts. I want to go over some of our initial impressions and then get into how each modification has affected the car in our opinion. When you get in the car, the first thing that comes to mind is how much the interior does not feel like a Subaru, and I for one actually like this. It feels like you are in an actual ****pit with the driver in mind, even though the dash is not wrapped around you, it sure feels like it is, the door panels sit very high which gives you the impression that you are sitting very low in the car. Which makes sense as you actually are sitting very low compared to most cars on the road, but unlike other cars with very low seat positions, your legs still have plenty of room, and it does not feel like your legs are stretched out in front of you and on the floor.

DSC_8600media-600x400.jpg

DSC_8626media-600x400.jpg

All and all I would say the car is great right out of the box, I feel that because I followed the car even since it was only a rumor, I expected too much out of it. I was hoping it would be more raw and more focused, more responsive and more nimble. However once I got over the initial disappointment that this 25K car did not live up to my 100K expectation, I was nothing but happy with the little rhino. It’s cute, it’s fun, it will make you smile throwing it into corners, and overall the car is a great “sporty” car. I would not go as far as calling it a sports car, as I would put M3’s, Porsche’s and the like in that category. But coming from a joint venture between Subaru and Toyota, it is a step in the right direction and I think they did a stellar job on this project. I for one would be proud to own any BRZ/FR-S/FT-86, and can’t wait to see how they tweak the car in future models.

DSC_8554media-600x400.jpg

DSC_8586media-600x400.jpg

DSC_8579media-600x400.jpg

DSC_8583media-600x400.jpg

header_rsd_logo.jpg

DynoFeatured-380785_610x407.jpg

Event: Dyno Tune/Product Testing

Ambient Temp: 87F

Elevation: 4600 Feet

Weather: Sunny

Car: 2013 Subaru BRZ

Tuner: None, this was for a Baseline

Dyno Info: Mustang Dynamometer

Transmission: Factory 6-speed

Gear: 4th

Peak HP: 150

Peak TQ: 116

Fuel: 91 Octane

Modifications:

-Apexi Panel Filter

-Dimple Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

-Prova Oil Filter

Dyno02-600x400.jpg

We wanted to get a good baseline on our local dyno, so we packed up and headed over to ZipTie Dynoworks. When we arrived they had everything set up and ready to go it was as simple as handing them the keys while I relaxed and watch them strap it down. Once they had the car secured to the dyno, we did a few runs to let the oil get up to temp to get an accurate power reading. After the first few pulls we had a maximum of 147HP and 114TQ. This was a bit better than I had expected having seen some other stock BRZ dyno numbers, but still seems to be right on par based of the Dyno we and others have used.

Next we wanted to see what would happen if we just removed the factory filter, so we popped the hood and quickly removed the stock filter. One thing I will point out is that the factory air filter actually looks really really good, it has quite a bit of surface area and seem to be of super high quality, so we were impressed by that. But this is not a stock filter review, we are here to get some numbers! So we made a few more pulls with the factory air filter out of the box, and we got a maximum HP of 148 and max TQ of 114. We were hoping to see more gains out of this, but it seems like the power delivery was not as smooth, and while we did gain 1 horsepower overall, the majority of the time, we were actually under power compared to the stock filter. I am guessing this has to do with the way the air floes over the MAF sensor itself, and I do think having a filter in the box creates the proper air flow over the MAF. Now that was all done, we wanted to try out the new Apexi drop in air filter. Removing it from the box, you can instantly tell this will be a much better flowing filter than stock, and if not that, at least it is looks much better.

DSC_1703-600x400.jpg

We did have some issues installing the new air filter in the air box, this might have just been us trying to hurry to get the car off the dyno, but we had to physically remove the air box, put the filter in, clamp the air box together and bolt it back in the car.

DSC_1752-600x400.jpg

Something about a bunch of monkeys and a football comes to mind looking back on this… Once the monkeys got the air filter installed, we fired up the engine for a few more pulls. With the engine breathing much better, we achieved a maximum HP of 150 and a Maximum TQ of 116. Now this is what we are talking about! Not only did we see a gain of 3 HP and 2 TQ over the stock filter, but throughout the entire RPM range it made more power than the stock filter. Not too bad for a drop in air filter and what should have been a 2 minute install haha.

Driving the car, it does seem the throttle response has improved ever so slightly, and the car does seem to pull a bit easier as well through the RPM range. Not a huge performance gain, but I figure it is a very worthwhile modification if you ever have to replace the factory panel filter and do not want to go with a true aftermarket air intake system.

Just wanted to give a big shout out to all of the guys over at ZipTie Dynoworks, this was the first time I have been to their new shop and it is nice to see a clean, well-organized shop, and all the smiling faces over there always helps too.
default_smile.png

Also make sure to check out our video of our little dyno adventure
default_smile.png

dyno-plot-600x701.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Before we start going crazy tossing parts on the car we want to get a good feel for how the car drives in its stock form. We are going to try to do a before and after video for every part we install. So here it is, bone stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts83V4y2XHk&feature=player_embedded

In this Video we made, I will give you guys a rundown on our Albino Rhino now that it is broken in. We plan on doing a video blog update about once a month and we would love to answer some questions in the next one. So if you have a question you would like answered, please let us know and we will see what we can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlMvCKCKrq0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlMvCKCKrq0&feature=player_embedded[/URL]

Here's some pics when we got the wheels and tires! I love the aggressiveness of the wheels and tires, I'll post pictures of it with more low here in a minute.

default_additional_thumbsup.gif

4x4.jpg

Wheel specs:

Work CR KAI Ultimates - F-Zero Blue

18x9.5 +38 Rear

18x8.5 +47 Front

5x100 of course

Tires:

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11

245/40/18 Rear

235/40/18 Front

Okay, now the fun truly begins. I have been wanting to start doing some real mods to our Albino Rhino, so I stole the car one day and quickly ran to my garage to install some goodies. Here are the results.
default_smile.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un-YyPT14pQ&feature=player_embedded

I recently installed the Eibach Lowering Springs, Whiteline Comp ‘C’ Camber/Caster mounts, Work Emotion CR Ultimate 18x9.5 rear and 18x8.5 front with Bridgestone RE-11 tires wrapped around them. Now with being busy at work and in my personal life I did not really have a chance to take the car out to see what it could do, and I have been itching to go for a blast. Well my itch got too strong, so I “borrowed” Justin from work and we took the car out for some mid-day hooning. We found a secret spot, set up some cones and just went for it. At first I was still getting used to the new setup, but instantly could tell the car was much more crisp and precise, even minimal steering input was immediately followed by a response from the car. I always thought the car was darty in stock form, but man, this is just on another level.

After some hot laps, I started to feel more comfortable and confident with the car and the setup, the tires were coming up to temp nicely as well. I was able to focus on the differences between when it was stock and with the mods now, and I must be honest, the overall feel of the car, the “characteristics” of the car did not change much, it still felt very well balanced and planted to the road, just like stock. The main difference was just more grip, much, much more grip. I would have to say the biggest difference came from the Bridgestone RE-11 tires and the Whiteline Comp ‘C’ Camber/Caster mounts, when I had installed them I set it up for max camber and caster, and while the added negative camber helped those big sticky tires remain flat in the corner, the added caster gave us a much better steering feel and also gave us some additional negative camber through a corner as well. The smaller sidewall on the Bridgestones compared to stock really helped keep everything planted and gave me much more confidence in the corners as well. Now, don’t think I am leaving the springs out of the equation, but I was really expecting a harsher and stiffer ride from these springs, but to be honest, it almost felt like stock. You can tell there is a bit more spring rate under the car, but it is so minimal that once you drive the car for more than a few minutes, you forget that they are there. I think these springs are going to be perfect for those who want to retain stock like comfort, while still lowering the car for better looks and handling.

Overall I was very impressed with the setup, it still allows you to get the rear end out with the traction control off, which I did not think was going to be possible with that much soft rubber under the car, but again, the characteristics felt like the stock car. It does not feel quite as eager to accelerate with the larger diameter wheels and tires, but I feel like the car was never the fastest thing on the planet, and the added grip more than makes up for the minimal loss of acceleration, and I do emphasize the word minimal. I was really impressed towards the end of our session as the tires reached full temp, they made the car feel like a razor cutting through the pavement, you just had to point the steering wheel where you wanted to go, keep the gas steady and the car just zipped there like a quantum wave collapse and *poof*, you’re there. It was astonishing, there was so much more the car could have given, and now the biggest limitation is the dummy behind the wheel. Now I’ve known that has always been the truth, but at least before I had an excuse with the stock tires, now I must come out and admit “ I Rick, am a horrible driver”, ah that feels much better to get off my chest. Now that the internet knows about my driving skills, or lack thereof, one might ask, “so if the car was already out of your driving abilities, why are you throwing parts on it”? That is a great question, and the real answer to that is… For fun!!! Now don’t get me wrong, the car was a blast to drive in stock form, we all know that, but go ahead and throw on some sticky tires, take that corner as fast as you can, and just giggle like an idiot as the car tries to separate your skin from your body. I have never had a headache after driving a car before, but I got one this time, I felt like a newborn whose neck muscles are not quite strong enough, as my head bounced from shoulder to shoulder, tank-slapping through those cones. I remember thinking “Now this is a car!!!” as I was grabbing at my neck wretched in pain.

We know some people modify their cars to make it look better, some do it to stand out and be different, well I do it because like RickyBobby, I just wanna go fast!! I love feeling the G-forces as I throw a car recklessly into corners, I love feeling like at any moment, if something goes wrong, I might die. There is a special connection you can develop with your car, this not only comes from driving it and getting to know it, which you do, but I feel like a big part of that is modifying it to suite it to your own preference, to make the car yours, and for it to drive like you want it to drive. This is why I mod cars, this is what I have been waiting for with this BRZ, and from here on out, it is just going to get better and better.
default_smile.png

We will keep you up to date with the next modifications, but don’t think we have given up on the suspension just yet. Take a look at the arms and the bushings on the rear of the car through the corners in our most recent suspension video, this should give you an idea of what we are thinking to attack next.
default_wink.png

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Great write up, and it looks and sounds great so far. Looking forward to seeing future progress.

K3rn

Hookah Master
so nice id love to see someone make an AWD system for the BRZ i think it would be nasty

Stein

Stein
I love the color accents on the white. Nice choice
default_wink.png

so nice id love to see someone make an AWD system for the BRZ i think it would be nasty
That would make it too close to the WRX, and ruin the whole point of the BRZ (light 2d sports car).

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
The engine and trans sit too far towards the rear to use the standard 5 or 6spd subaru box. plus that isn't really the point of the FT-86. I would rather see a 2dr hatch wrx/sti that curbs under 3,000lbs

PSTMAIN-127755_610x407.jpeg
PST07-600x400.jpeg

We have done a few more upgrades over the past little while and the BRZ is really surprising me. It's not something that is necessarily shown on the dyno, but when you drive it you can definitely feel it.

At the beginning of September we worked with PST in developing a carbon drive shaft for the BRZ and finally got around to installing it and testing it. Before we tested the carbon fiber driveshaft we decided to to baseline run so we would have a good before and after reading.

We did a few runs, and found the car makes the most power on the 4th run as the car gets nice and warm and loosens up. We made 161 HP on our final pull and decided it was time to install the PST carbon Driveshaft on the car. After 4 pulls we saw a peak HP of 165 HP, or a gain of 4HP. I was hoping for a bit more, but I was excited as is to see any gains at all, so it was a good day. Take a look at the video and see what you think....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...GJf21uMto&feature=player_embedded[center]

PST06.jpeg

PST01.jpeg

PST02-600x400.jpeg

PST03-600x400.jpeg

Today Rick gives you a rundown on the parts we have installed on our Albino Rhino so far. We really enjoy how the car has progressed so far and we are excited to keep adding parts and giving you guys honest reviews on them.

Currently as the car sits it has the following modifications:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yXBBvV727LQ[/url][center]

Latest posts

Back