RallyX in Lyman ME 10/17 FYI

mtpmd

From the RalllyX mailing list, coming up soon:

=======

Entry forms for the RallyX at the Rest & Be Thankful Farm on Oct 17 are online.

Everything you need to know is here:

http://www.ner.org/rally/rx/event/20091017_rest-be-thankful-rallycross

The discounted entry deadline is next Tuesday, Oct 13 so drop 'em in the mail as soon as you can.

See you all in two weeks,

Chris Regan

NER RallyX Chair

[email protected]

(203) 979-3196

============

And copied form the website:

Rest & Be Thankful Rallycross

Start: 10/17/2009 - 07:30

End: 10/17/2009 - 17:00

Timezone: Etc/GMT-4

Rest & Be Thankful Farm

The NER RallyCross program, with help from the Cumberland Motor Club, is hosting this month's event at the Rest & Be Thankful Horse Farm in Lyman, ME. Located minutes from I-95 in southern Maine, this new location is easy to reach for most. The surface will be rolling fields of turf grass.

Lunch food may be available for purchase onsite pending arrangements.

The Rest & Be Thankful Farm is located here: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=rest+and+be+thankful+farm&hl=en&ie=UTF8&vi...

The entry deadline is coming fast. TUESDAY, OCT 13 is the last day to get entries in for the discounted price. Discount applies to both members of the SCCA and CMC.

Email [email protected] or call (603) 837-2075 for info.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
I'll be there
default_tongue.png

Ty Ty

I'll try to drop it in a box tomorrow so that it goes out Tuesday morning, and that will mark the end of my season. I've been operating beyond my budget since last fall...can't do it anymore.

But, I did get the tracking number on my pistons finally, so it will give me time to start prepping the new engine. With any luck, it will be in the car and all shaken down by next summer...hopefully.

ReZPunK

just as a reminder to people coming this weekend, Snell M95 or SA95 or better helmets are required. there are few loaners available, so if you have one to use please bring it.

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
How much is the none discounted rate and can I just show up with the money on the day of? Do I have to pre-register?

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Today was a very fun day. It was also an eye opener. (wall of text incoming, short version at bottom)

Driver experience:

I have had 4 years (I think? somewhere around that amount) of autocross experience. I drove my RS for a year seriously (took it too seriously in my opinion). Learned a lot, then decided I shouldn't beat on it anymore since it was my daily driver; and besides my dad had a perfectly good mustang with a supercharger to drive.

I've driven that the last few years and learned a lot from that. Along with learning more of my car daily driving it.

These experiences taught me a lot street driving and cornering. This is great as I feel I'm a better driver now. It sucks because it made it difficult to rallycross as I have very little loose surface driving experience. Honestly I had no idea what I was doing, and I broke the cardinal rule. Slow is Fast.

Trying to go fast I blew through a lot of turns or gates. Offcourses suck as they add a bunch of time. What's different from autocross is that your times are cumulative. So if you off course, it adds to your total, effectively screwing me over for the day. I was still in the CMC mindset where if you offcourse, it's fine and that you can have another shot at getting a good run.

Today, as a driver experience, it reminded me of my first Story Land CMC event. Back then I was plowing corners, apexing wrong, and making many noob mistakes. Today I was blowing through gates, cornering wrong, overdriving everything. I was literally the slowest person there today thanks to off courses.

And I had a blast doing it.

RezPunk hopped in with me for a run at the end of the morning. Him telling me instructions as I went along was information overload at first, but it all came together around the last sweeper when I did what he said and the car reacted magically. It was like learning to walk as a toddler all over again. I spent the afternoon working on these techniques and trying to understand how the car reacts, rather than worrying about times.

I need way more seat time on dirt/gravel/snow. Going from beating my dad on pavement in his car and performing very well in my RS when I ran it to being the slowest person there at the rallycross was a very humbling and tough experience, but it was worth it; as now I have something else to learn all over again.

Course experience:

I'm used to walking a course and learning it through driving it throughout the day. Rallycross is impossible to do that. The course changes all day, and in two different ways.

Working a corner this morning and watching turn one, you could see how people going by would affect the terrain. The grass would get scraped off, and eventually the corners would berm. The awd cars with gravel tires did plenty of digging so the corners would be looser and deeper each run. The surface literally evolved as each person drove it.

Secondly, the course workers and safety people would move cones around, chaning the course. This was fine as it gave us new surfaces to work with as corners got too torn up, exposing rocks, etc. I thought this was a good move and it works out really well. The only time it didn't work out well for me was when we transition from 2wd to 4wd cars in the afternoon. I came in from working and was all set to drive. After the first right I was moving along fine when all of a sudden my sister from the passenger seat says "uhh your going the wrong way". The course was completely different from what I just watched. I should have checked to see if they were changing things around, but eh you learn.

Club experience:

Running with the NER folks was great. I have nothing but good things to say. The day was very laid back, there was no pressure from anyone about anything. Everyone new there jobs. Having a paddock worker helped really keep everyone in order. I enjoyed the different experience that NER gave me compared to CMC. Read into that however you want.

Overall:

I had a blast today and it was a great experience. I got to drive, and meet new people.

Too long didn't read version (TLDR):

I suck at driving on dirt, had fun anyway.

09FXT

default_rolleyes.gif
I noticed a car go straight on the second group run, didn't realize it was you. Don't think I got pictures of that
default_additional_sillylol.gif
. Just started to upload some 2k pictures. gonna be awhile.
default_additional_sillylol.gif

Latest posts

Back