RAM AIR (not Short Ram Air)

cperrine

Anyone know what a ram air intake would do for gains? I'd imagine an exhaust would be needed as well.

RamAirMagnum-1.jpg
[/img]

This one is in a Magnum

cperrine

Ya know, I was so excited to see that TWO people replied to my query, but what do I find? This sillyness will not go unpunished...Mike and Spin are unofficially uninvited to my birthday...it's official.

Tyler

Aww, but that's not fair! It's Mike's fault!

I think a ram air idea is awesome, but from what I've read, besides getting cold air, the "RAM" part of it doesn't actually do anything ... MAYBE 1psi off of the vacuum kinda thing .. but other than looks, again .. I don't think it's worth it. I COULD BE WRONG!

mikebike357

How often does one actually get a serious answer around here?!? Hmm...

Anyway, I wouldn't do the ram air just because of the beatdown that would come from having that stickin' out the hood. The rice jokes would be non-stop.

EvilAsPie

I don't think i would call that "ram" air. It's just getting colder air to the intake. But that concept doesn't make a whole lotta sense on a turbo car. If it were a true "ram air" it wouldn't push any more air in that the turbo isn't already. and the intercooler's got the air cooler thing covered. The only time you would want cold air on the filter would be at a stop when the intercooler isn't going much, but even then the "ram" isn't doing anything either. I hood vent might be a more efficient way to keep engine bay temps down. That would make more sense to give the hot air somewhere to escape rather then heat soaking the engine bay while at a stop.

cperrine

Yeah so I was hoping there might be a hot rodder on here or something. I don't know exactly how a Ram-Air intake works but it's different from a Short-Ram-Air intake. From what I understand there is a pressurization that occurs (due to speed/atmosphere) at some point before or after the carb/throttle body. Somewhat like a super/turbo-charger, but again using only atmosphere, instead of running, directly or indirectly, off of the engine.

I will try to find a good diagram.

CP

Redline

Ram air intakes are a poor man's forced induction system. It uses the speed of the vehicle to force air into a scoop that is attached to your intake, resulting in easier breathing for your car. If your engine is working to induct air, would it not make sense that if you gave the air (instead of it taking it through vacuum) it would result in more air getting into the engine, resulting in a power gain.

Of course, this opens up the discussion of where the true bottle-neck resides... how is your air filter? is it restricting flow? do you have any tight areas in your intake tube? and more...

I had a nifty setup on my 1983 RX-7... the carborator snout shot towards the radiator shroud area, obviously pulling significantly warmer air than if it were in the fender wall. So, I cut a hole in the side of the shroud, put an exhaust flex pipe through the hole and into the snout. End result was that at highway speeds, I was effectively taking in the coolest air I could, given the situation. The only thing better than this setup was the headlight-scoop option that Mariah Motorsports used to make...

Ram air is a good thing. You just need to make sure you're not hurting the aerodynamics of the car, and are not un-intentionally creating a bottleneck that was not present previous to the modifcation.

Back