Really disappointed with Tactrix 2.0

JoshP

Recently decided to purchase an Openport 2.0 for $180 or so, even though I only need a 1.3. I wanted to support the project, plus its American designed and made so that's great. Flashing worked fine, zero issues there. But logging with romraider doesn't work with Windows 7. This is just absurd. I even went through their 36 step process to make it work, which was a complete joke. 7 steps were to reboot the computer. I spent ~2 hours trying to make this thing work with win7... completely unacceptable. I wasn't comfortable with driving my car without logging, because brand new tune. So it basically ruined my weekend, last weekend. I also own a $10 vagcom cable, which I have used before to log. That works with romraider logger within 10 seconds.

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
I've used tactrix 2.0 with romraider logger and editor on many diff win7 laptops and desktops without issue. Not sure what the issue is with your specific setup.

If I were closer I'd help you figure it out.

JoshP

How many actually?  Because its really common problem with Win7.  I don't even care to make it work, because my $10 vag-com works just fine.  Very disappointed, this thing was a lot of money and should work with 0 effort.  I haven't tried standalone logging yet, but I'm sure that will be an adventure too.

injulen

If its an operating system issue the first question to ask is; 64-bit? Ryan, do you know if the laptops you used were 32 or 64 bit?

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
32 and 64 bit, at least half a dozen laptops and two desktops.

My current laptop has win7 x64 pro on it, same with my desktop. Both work. My old 32 bit laptop still works with 2.0, but I rarely use it anymore.

I also have vag-com hex-com and hex-can cables that also work with the abovementioned machines, but only use those on vw/audi/porsche since I have the tactrix for subaru/mitsu.

Does it just sit there tryong to connect, or does it say reading data and doesn't retrieve anything.

MikeyPSF

Hello Josh,
I just ran across your post while searching for something else and I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment. I know the post is a bit old, but it's serious enough that I wanted to say a few words. First, we develop on Windows 7 machines now and at the time you were having your problem. We're a two person company and we're focused on improving our Openport hardware and free EcuFlash software. As a two person company, we have limited capacity to support software we didn't write, especially given the wide variety of software that works with our hardware (RomRaider, EvoScan, MazdaEdit, BRZEdit, MMCFlash, Versatuner, Toyota Techstream, etc.) I'm not sure what 36 steps your talking about, but generally for most people it's going to be a simple click of the install and if there are install problems, it's generally just diagnosing Windows driver install issues. Since your problem was with RomRaider, I'm guessing you were working with people on that forum, which is generally the best way forward, but you can always try contacting us too. 

If you ever need support from us, just contact us directly at support at tactrix dot com. I can't promise that we can always solve issues with software we didn't write, but we try to do what we can including reaching out to the developers of those software packages to sort through issues.

-Mike

Tactrix
Recently decided to purchase an Openport 2.0 for $180 or so, even though I only need a 1.3. I wanted to support the project, plus its American designed and made so that's great. Flashing worked fine, zero issues there. But logging with romraider doesn't work with Windows 7. This is just absurd. I even went through their 36 step process to make it work, which was a complete joke. 7 steps were to reboot the computer. I spent ~2 hours trying to make this thing work with win7... completely unacceptable. I wasn't comfortable with driving my car without logging, because brand new tune. So it basically ruined my weekend, last weekend. I also own a $10 vagcom cable, which I have used before to log. That works with romraider logger within 10 seconds.

Latest posts

Back