Rear Brake Line Replacement Question

DrakeHale33

My rear brake lines are really rusted and they won't pass state inspection in the condition they are in. My question is has anybody replaced their right rear lines? ( 99 Impreza) What can I expect to pay to have this done? It looks like the two steel lines to the caliper have a connection just past the axle going toward the front of the car and this is where its rusted. Can they just be replaced from this connection back or are they going to have to replace the whole thing?

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
won't know answer to that question until you have close inspection of brake line condition.

if some lines are rusted to point of failure, the others probly aren't far behind.

hard brake lines are NOT an area to skimp on, mmkay?

those lines are not a heinously hard job, it's just dirty n messy work. figure budget circa 300 buckos.

If you want to put a bit more money into them to prevent them from rusting ask for copper-nickle brake lines. Not much corrodes those. Copper-nickle piping is used for salt water supply lines on ships(to give you an idea of the durability).

DrakeHale33

won't know answer to that question until you have close inspection of brake line condition.

if some lines are rusted to point of failure, the others probly aren't far behind.

hard brake lines are NOT an area to skimp on, mmkay?

those lines are not a heinously hard job, it's just dirty n messy work. figure budget circa 300 buckos.

I got under the car and scoped it. You have an RS so you'll know its rusted coming from the caliper to its first connection just past the axle. It can't be more than a couple of feet of tubing each way. After its first connection it looks pretty good, its still got a plastic wrap around it. But I've bust a line before, its no fun and it was in one of these going through a red light

100_0446.jpg

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
I got under the car and scoped it. You have an RS so you'll know its rusted coming from the caliper to its first connection just past the axle. It can't be more than a couple of feet of tubing each way. After its first connection it looks pretty good, its still got a plastic wrap around it. But I've bust a line before, its no fun and it was in one of these going through a red light

100_0446.jpg
hrmmm...sounds like you are referring to the flex lines from caliper to chassis, not a hard line. still pretty easy fix, with 2 main keys to making the job go w/o probs

1) PB Blaster the fark out of the connex before trying to unbolt. Best to blast it a couple times in a couple days b4 tackling the job. the fitting on chassis side is esp prone to collecting dirt n grime, so blow that out w/air first to let PB do its thing better

2) use brake line wrench on the fittings...the more mating surface the less likely u are to round off or break the nuts.

Latest posts

Back