Rear bumper removal

-=Lobstah=-

96' Brighton. The f**%#ng thing does not come out. Removed 3 bolts on each side of bumper stays, 2 bolts on the sides that hold the cover to the body. Now the bumper wobbles, but only comes out about 1/2", feels like theres something still stopping it, but i could not figure out what...

Pls help....

akinaspeedstar

we just unbolted the entire frame from the frame of the car and took it off as an assembly. there one on each fender well. four underneath i believe, and there was... one or two others i think. i think some of them are behind the evap stuff. we had the advantage that there was no gas tank, or exhaust in the way. i think there are like ones from around the license plate too. i know that's not much help. but that's all i remember :-

akinaspeedstar

haha see how much help i am?
default_biggrin.png

Evan

the bumper skin, or bumper beam? i just took my 98 rear bumper skin off yesterday, its just the plastic clips holding it in. the beam looked pretty self explanatory but i didnt try it.

Rightseat

if the bumper beam is bent (which is probly why you are replacing it?) the horns may stick in those tunnels in the unibody.

if you have all the bolts out, it should come out more or less straight out. the plastic clippy things hold the skin onto bumper beam, and connect skin to inner fender liners, and bumper skin under license plate area. make sure all of those are disconnected and it'll come. don't baby it, this stuff is big heavy and tough.

jobs like this is why big effin pry bars were invented.

Latest posts

Back