rear diff whine at 65 mph

ditch_bound

Has anyone that has experienced this problem resolved it with the dynamic damper and diff member parts subaru came out with? The noise doesn't sound like it will ruin the rear end from what I have read but it is probably one of the most annoying things I have ever had to listen to.

ditch_bound

They are supposed to cancel out the harmonic noise I assume. Yes it is covered in the TSB.

Countermeasure to Eliminate Noise from the Rear Differential Area

Service Bulletin #03-55-05

Pages: 2

Bulletin Description: A countermeasure has been made to address noise coming from the rear differential area. The noise may make a high frequency "Hoo" (Harmonic) noise and is most noticeable with little to no throttle application (coasting or deceleration). The peak of the noise occurs at 63mph (100km/h). The noise may occur in any gear or engine speed; however it is most noticeable in 4th gear (4EAT equipped) or 5th gear (5MT equipped). Dynamic dampers were added to the rear differential member to eliminate the noise. If you encounter a customer complaint prior to the countermeasure, follow the procedure on page 2.

I had subaru send me something in adobe but I dont know how to transfer it (It has a picture) so I pulled this off the nasioc thread I was reading. It has a picture
default_smile.png
I heard its not very effective though, and pricey!

Rightseat

counterbalances added to rear diff carrier?

hmmm, we removied something that sounds suspiciously similar form the diff subframe of our GC series rally cars...little weights that were surprisingly heavy. will have to peek at the WRX and see if those counterweights are present or not.

pricey you said, like how much?

Jimbo

Ditch, I have a pretty angry version of Adobe on my pc here - if you want to send me what they sent you, I could manipulate it a bit so that you can open 'er...maybe. I'll PM you my email address.

ditch_bound

counterbalances added to rear diff carrier?

hmmm, we removied something that sounds suspiciously similar form the diff subframe of our GC series rally cars...little weights that were surprisingly heavy. will have to peek at the WRX and see if those counterweights are present or not.

pricey you said, like how much?
If I knew how to attach the pdf I would let you see for yourself. I dont think its something to counterbalance anything. Just a countermeasure. About $200 for everything from Evergreen.

ditch_bound

I changed the fluid today....... Did nothing. I had it on a with a stethoscope yesterday and was told it sounded like one of the three pinion bearings. There was no major metal shavings on the plug so I guess I will have to deal with it. (new diff is big money). I officially have a very noisy car.

Rightseat

so that sounds like one of those "just drive it til it sounds really worse" kind of things. Might be 10k miles , who knows?

ditch_bound

so that sounds like one of those "just drive it til it sounds really worse" kind of things. Might be 10k miles , who knows?
I got replys from other people on other forums that have driven 60k miles with it like that. Just kinda messed up to have a 4 year old 30k car that makes all kinds of shitty noises. I either have to go under the speed limit on the highway or over the limit so I dont have to listen to it.

Latest posts

Back