rear lateral links/rallycross prep

HR radness

His royal radness
Anyone ever change out the rear lateral links on an impreza L? I have a wrx swaybar and the appropriate lateral links with bracket for mounting the swaybar but I can't get the stock bastids off!!! I need to get this done before the rally-x event in Rochester, NH on the 22nd. Anyone ever change these links and if not, anyone reccomend a subaru friendly garage in the midcoast area?

C

chris

the bolts wont come out will they.

bentlink3cp.jpg

You will need to persuade it with a bfh, red wrench, air hammer, crack dealer.

stainless

put some penatrating oil on it the day before you want to take em off....

it makes it easyer....

might eat any ruber gaskets depending on type of "oil" used.

HR radness

His royal radness
I'm sure I can find a place that can help me "persuade" those bolts to come out. Only 216,000 miles worth of grit, rust and maine winter holding them on. Thanks for the input kids

C

chris

It could turn out to be ugly. The metal lining inside the bushings become one with the bolt you're trying to remove

Mike, sounds dumb, but they will either come out, or not. There's no in between with those things. They seize to the metal in the knuckle.

Spary PB Blaster penetrating lubricant on them daily for a few days. Get the nut out. Then use an air hammer to try and hammer the bolt out. You cannot use a sawzall because the heat will melt the bushings pressed into the knuckle.

Get a shop or Subaru dealer to do it for you. You'll thank them later.

Cheers! John

HR radness

His royal radness
Heading down for an FAA medical in Saco on Saturday so I'll take it to that subie shop in Wiscassett. Let them beat the snot outta it. I'll get tired watching them work:)

Whatever you pay will be money well spent! BTW, I'm no Subaru expert, but that rear lateral link doesn't quite look as straight as a stock one! ;-)

Cheers! John

Latest posts

Back