Recall-Front control arms

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
From another site:

Due to the growing epidemic of front lower control arm failures, Subaru announced a recall of 300,000 Impreza 2.5RS, 2.5TS, 2.5i, and WRX from model years 2002-2007 with steel front control arms. The STi is not affected by this recall. This includes the Saab 9-X wagons with steel front control arms. Additionally, Forresters with steel front control arms from 2003-2008 are part of this recall. Basically, if the vehicle was registered in or sold into one of 20 "rust belt" states, the dealer wants to see your car to look at the front control arms. Depending on the severity of the damage, the arms will either be coated with some sort of rust proofing or be replaced. The letters should be going out to owners in early November. As far as I've heard, you will have to wait until that time before being able to book cars in for repair.

Guys, if you get the letter or have one of the affected vehicles and live or have lived in a rust-belt state, take this one seriously and get the recall service performed. When it goes, you lose the ability to steer the car and, in some cases, the ability to brake (if the line is severed, which is likely). Think what'll happen if it lets lose while you're doing 75 on the freeway and happen to be pointed straight at bridge supports in an interchange.

Matt

must be the same steel they used on tacoma/tundra frames with......gotta love cheap metal and rust

inski

I've seen a lot of Subarus. I've never seen a control arm fail, rust out, get rotten. They should include the sub-frame stiffeners in the 02-04s. Those def aren't so pretty if you never wash your car.

Chris, why do you wash your car so much?me: Because its a Subaru.
The best under bellies are in my driveway.
default_cool.png

IBratmanI

I have seen a few control arms rust out. Even one on an 03 WRX wagon to the point it broke.

And ANY car should have it's underside washed living in Maine!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cwazy

cwazy man drivin a subie!
so what if your a bandy new owner of one on the list... will I still receive that letter? do I need a letter to get this matter taken care of? I have 2 precious little girls in witch was a BIG factor of me going with a subaru! ...???

so what if your a bandy new owner of one on the list... will I still receive that letter? do I need a letter to get this matter taken care of? I have 2 precious little girls in witch was a BIG factor of me going with a subaru! ...???
If you go on subarus website and do they my subaru thing then you should be able to print a voucher or something once they mail them out.

IBratmanI

Looks like the recall letters are starting to be sent out. I've heard of a few people getting recall letters in the mail.

trm

Ours came today. Sounds like one very long ordeal. The inspection of the arms is to take 45 minutes, then if it needs replacement it will take 3 hours, plus another hour to let the anti rust agent dry. If they plan on taking people's cars away that long on a recall wonder if they are giving out loaners while they perform the service.

GHST-RDR

Yes subaru is starting to do the recall, we just had our first one the other day. And why should Subaru give loaners, you have a 2002 WRX with probably 100-200,000miles and it is in one of the most rusty states, atleast they are covering the bill for labor and parts, they could just cover the parts and have the customer cover the labor. They are fixing a problem that well the could just not do and say its due to age, enviroment and how the vehicle was maintained. If Subaru never posted this recall then no one would have ever said anything about it... Feel lucky.

trm

They did not do it out of the kindness of their heart. If it wasnt for NHTSA they probably would have continued to ignore it. It is a recall, so of course they are covering parts & labor. You can not have a recall that only covers parts but requires the customer to pay labor. Why should I feel lucky again? A control arm recall that they list the hours for as an entire day?

STi Chad

I got my letter Tuesday so I called Pape Subaru to make a appt to have them take a look at it and I was told NO!!!! They will not touch any modified cars period. Last I checked my control arms aren't modified. Still the answer was no! Fack them, they wont touch it and possibly upsell me on something else and I def wont buy my 12 from them. There loss. Save yourselves time and aggravation and go elsewhere ............

Rallytech14

I got a letter last week, my car is modified. so will I not be getting free control arms? either way I don't really care....no problems with mine. is it worth making an appointment, I suppose the new bushings would be an improvement.

Latest posts

Back