Red Bull Stratos Jump

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man
I caught that this afternoon. He is one crazy SOB
default_additional_jawdrop.gif

Legwagon

BC-BF-*BJ*
^^Indeed!! Some CRAZY stuff!! My wife and I also watched as he ascended upward and jumped!!! There really is no words to describe it......... Instant Man Card for him.

Legwagon

BC-BF-*BJ*
Yes he hit 830 some odd mph that got him mach 1.2 I was watching Live stream youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:

Legwagon

BC-BF-*BJ*
Here are a few of the numbers from the jump.

http://www.fastcocreate.com/1681748/red-bull-stratos-shatters-records-and-traditional-notions-of-marketing

Baumgartner and his team, including Kittinger, technical project director Art Thompson, life support engineer Mike Todd and and medical director Jonathan Clark, confirmed that the successful jump had broken three records: highest jump, with an exit altitude of 128,100 feet; longest freefall at 4 minutes and 20 seconds and maximum highest vertical velocity: Baumgartner fell 119, 846 feet or 36,529 meters reaching a maximum velocity of 373 meters per second or 833.9 miles an hour. Put another way, Mach 1.24--faster than the speed of sound.

Matt

It's hard for me to believe that he was traveling that fast and none of his body parts got ripped off!!!

inski

He had his arms strapped or tethered to himself, but there was little atmosphere to give the energy or resistance to 'rip' off limbs at the altitude he got that speed. The further he got into the atmosphere the slower he got. Terminal falling velocity in the atmosphere is 120-ish mph. The less atmosphere the faster you can fall.

But they still haven't specified whether or not he passed out while he was cartwheeling. Its not good for the brain to spin that fast, and he could feel it. Gravity still rules even way up there.

Legwagon

BC-BF-*BJ*
Official Records from Felix's Jump from the Edge of Space:

Speed achieved: 1,342.8 km/h / 833.9 mph – Confirming Felix broke speed of sound

Time before going supersonic: 34 seconds

Jump altitude of 39,045 meters / 128,100 feet

Vertical distance of freefall: 36,529 meters / 119,846 feet

Total time freefall: 4 minutes 22 seconds

Total jump to landing: 9 minutes 9 seconds

Chute pulled: 5,300ft

Latest posts

Back