replacing my clutch

NatesBeaulieu

I have 2011 impreza wrx that is still under warranty. I have talked to quirks subaru and evergreen subaru and both have said that if it was abused I will foot the bill. Can they really do that ? If so where should I go to get a clutch installed? The dealerships were saying it would be about $1500 bucks. that's so exspensive!

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
if the flywheel isn't blue, then you should be good, but you won't know that until it's taken apart. it's expensive because they have to pull the engine forward to get at the clutch. it's mostly labor

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
mike is located in southern maine, not sure how much you're willing to drive, but no one can beat his prices. NO ONE!

NatesBeaulieu

Then why is it listed in the warranty book? Along with wipers and brakes. Anyway, the drive south might be worth the money saved. Whois mike and how do I contact him?

Matt

typically its a 36,000/3 month warranty.... we warranty this stuff all the time and sometimes have an adjuster from toyota check things out but rarely

Meyagi

I'm a hack
$400 for labor plus what ever the clutch costs. you can buy the one of your choice or i can source one, doesn't matter to me.

Matt

I meant 3 yrs. my bad!!! It should be under warranty then I would think. How exactly does someone prove abuse on a clutch assuming a car is stock?

NatesBeaulieu

My car is stock other than a CBE. The guy basically told me that it looks like my car has done donuts based on my tires wear n tear. I dont know how he can tell that, but by the way he is talking i can get a pretty decent idea that they are going to make me pay. Which it should be covered on warranty, so I dont really know how to fight them. Other than to find a cheaper way to get a clutch installed. Pretty crappy situation. I mean I honestly dont think I beat on the car bad enough for the clutch to give out. But its by their judgement I guess, so technically they could say it was abused regardless of if it was actually abused or not.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
I don't think they can claim abuse because of the tires. That can occur from cornering hard. Only way I feel they can claim abuse is from launching the car, which would be apparent by finding a flywheel that had turned blue from excessive friction and heat.

Call up Evergreen and ask for Joel. Tell him Justin Turcotte told you to call him and just talk to him about it. I've had a couple of engine jobs there....

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
how many miles on the car? a toasted clutch before warranty period expires is a big red flag for most dealership warranty claims. under 'normal use' a WRX clutch should last 70,000-100,000 miles. It's a high-horsepower car with tons of grip, and launching on tarmac is really hard on the hardware.

maybe you don't think you're hard on the clutch, maybe you are, who knows. but if your tires are also toast before 36k, that's another big red flag. dealers are sensitive about owners of hot cars beating the crap out of the vehicles and then blaming "defective items' and wanting coverage when it's really not deserved.

you simply won't know for sure until they tear the thing down. trouble is, if it's at the dealership and they determine that it's NOT covered, what are you gonna do, say "put it back together and I'll go get it done someplace else for cheaper" ?? Heh, good luck with that.

on the other hand, you can just take the car to a good independent like Meyagi and pay up. you've had fun with the car....and you're about to discover that fun can be very expensive.

NatesBeaulieu

Yeah I am going to get it done through Mike. Do you guys know where I can find an OEM clutch replacement? Or would an aftermarket clutch be preferable?

Latest posts

Back