Rethreading a shift knob, Machine shops? (Bangor)

Boynton4

I was given a Greddy Counterweight shift knob, but it's threaded for a Mitsubishi

srgreddy7.jpg

Since it was free anyways, I was considering having it drilled out and rethreaded if it's economically feasible.

Does anyone have any idea on the price to have it drilled out?

Potential machine shops in the Bangor area?

Thanks for the help

What is the thread that's in it currently? That will determine your options are. If it is already a M12 size then your basically SOL. If it is M10 you may be able to have it drilled and retapped. Also it may not have the nice finish once they are done. Threading takes a good amount of force.

Your in luck. You have 35 thousandths extra for when it has to be drilled. If I had a machine shop and the taps I could do it but I have neither. It would be pretty cheap as well.

RabbitWRX

If your going to do it your self, just be carefull when drilling a pre-existing hole. For one thing the hole is very close in size to the new tap drill size, so if your not close to drilling on center the drill will try to grab and bind in the shift knob. Also where its round it will be hard to hold on to, but is very doable.

Boynton4

Do you think a drill press would be required? Or something that could be accomplished with a normal power drill?

Going from a 1.25x 10 to a 1.25x 12 hole... Do you think I'll need to drill it out a bit before using the tap?

Thanks

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
1.25 is the pitch, 10 is the diameter. You definitely need to use the correct drill size before tapping it.

RabbitWRX

Do you think a drill press would be required? Or something that could be accomplished with a normal power drill?

Going from a 1.25x 10 to a 1.25x 12 hole... Do you think I'll need to drill it out a bit before using the tap?

Thanks
I would recomend a drill press just because you have more control of the drill and work piece. And I would drill out for the proper tap drill size so that you have the correct % of thread which is 75% standard. You have to open up the hole to the threads minor diameter in order for the knob to thread on.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
If you're good at drilling things straight, you could probably do it by hand. I do all my drilling stuff by hand, and it comes out fine.

I'd wrap the knob in some rags so it doesn't get scratched, and clamp it down good at tight in a vice so it can't move.

Latest posts

Back