Reverse lights

Redline

When I put my car (1996 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 5sp MT) in reverse, the backup lights are hit and miss. If I wiggle the shifter, I can get the lights to come on, but I need to carefully hold it in place for them to stay on. It's not a short in the bulbs, and it happens on both driver and passenger sides. Temp & weather play no role, either. I'm almost 100% sure it's a shifter/trans/electric combo issue.

It seems to me the contact is nearly shot - is it INSIDE the transmission? I'm hoping it's a sensor that I can easily replace, but I'm guessing it's not.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd rather not hardwire a switch, but if that's what it takes to pass inspection (which, I don't think even that would pass)...

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
revoise lite contact is inside gearbox, sorry
default_frown.gif

Evan

both of you should check the voltage as it comes out of the tranny. jeremy you should have someone wiggle the shifter for you while you watch for flickering voltage. a blinker bulb hooked up to wire would be just as good as a multimeter. if the voltage is bad there then you know its the internal switch, if it seems right then its somewhere else down the line.

there is a relay under the dash for the reverse lights that could be sticking as well.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
reverse lite switch is cleverly designed to be replaced without cracking trans case. (doh, thanks, service book!)
default_smile.png

it's a round/cylinder shaped housing on left side of gearbox, waay up under where it's always grubby. probe plug for continuity with shifter in reverse; if you don't get continutiy, replace switch.

this is a lot simpler than I was rememvbering
default_biggrin.png
(relatively speaking)

Redline

Very awesome info, both of you. Thanks. Next time I change the oil I'll get on this.

Next stop... get price on sensor "just in case".

After all, I do have 225,xxx on the car....

Latest posts

Back