Richard Burns Rally

Lawdawg

I am kind of a late bloomer when it comes to gaming, and I generally play only racing sim games, both track based and rally.

Regarding rally, the original Colin McRae games such as CMcRae 05 and even 02 or 03 (I forget), in my opinion had the best physics in terms of realism. In fact, I think my original CMcRae 03 for my playstation 2 may be the best in terms of physics and realism, and I have played them all on both the playstation and the xbox. I play with a wheel, not a controller because you don't drive a car with a controller.

The last couple of years have been tough. DiRt physics are not the best and don't seem to work that well with the Xbox 360 wheel--seems a little arcady. There is always a learning curve, but the physics just are not right.

When Richard Burns Rally came out a few years ago (5 years now!), there was a lot of reviews that said this was THE best rally sim in terms of realism and physics. The problem was that it was released in Europe on XBox and PS2, but sadly Richard passed and the US version never came to be (something about different video formats).

Well, I was searching Amazon the other day and saw that only a couple of RBRs were still available for PC. I do not have a gaming PC but decided to buy it anyway because who knows and it was cheap. I loaded it into my laptop (17 in screen), dug out a ten year old Logitech force feedback wheel that I dont use anymore, and connected it all up.

OH MY GOD. It is awesome. After loading the logitech software on my laptop, I was able to assign all of the buttons, including starter, e-brake etc, and the force feedback works. Moreover, the physics are incredible. It is absolutely the closest thing to simulation in driving a car on loose surface--period. The graphics are a little dated by today's standards, but the physics makes up for it. Took me two days just to pass the driving school and Richard walks you through the entire thing. The realism might turn some people off, but I like it. If you crash the car, you are done, unlike many other sim games.

Anyway, I highly recommend if you like rally sims and have a PC.

That is all.

RallyCat

RBR is probably the best of the rally simulations out there. But you are correct that it is PC only for the Americas. Short version is the development and marketing companies fell apart before the PAL versions for XBOX/PS2 were ready to ship and it never got finished.

But, the absolute best physics engine that I've seen was BugBear's Rally Trophy. Very realistic and tunable physics engine and insanely hard to drive at the limits. Right on par with Grand Prix Legends. Besides, the "newest" car in the game was a Lancia Stratos.
default_eek.gif

But alas, both BugBear and the company that developed RBR are no more and the developers have scattered to the winds.
default_woohoo.gif
We will never see new versions of those simulations.

On the X-Box platform, take a look at Rallysport Challenge 2 from Microsoft. It is a touch arcade-ish, but the development team spent time at Team O'Neil between the first and second iterations of that series and you can definitely see a huge improvement in the quality of the vehicle dynamics. The cars are still pretty easy to drive, but they do react properly to driver inputs. Very entertaining and addictive game.

As for CMR and DIRT, the single pivot point model that they use drives me nuts. I liked the early versions which were very good for their day, but once you've seen Rally Trophy or RBR, it just doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

Tim

Lawdawg

Nice, I just ordered Rally Trophy and Grand Prix legends.

I have played Ralli Sport Challenge 2 and it is quite good--much better than the first version, but still a little arcady.

Such a bummer that there are no serious Rally sims out there... I guess they just cant move the number of units necessary to justify.. If they would only graft the RBR physics engine onto DiRt you might have something....

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on these other older games--they are on the way:banana:

Oh, and see you at NFR--good luck this year!

RallyCat

Nice, I just ordered Rally Trophy and Grand Prix legends.
I have played Ralli Sport Challenge 2 and it is quite good--much better than the first version, but still a little arcady.

Such a bummer that there are no serious Rally sims out there... I guess they just cant move the number of units necessary to justify.. If they would only graft the RBR physics engine onto DiRt you might have something....

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on these other older games--they are on the way:banana:

Oh, and see you at NFR--good luck this year!
RT and GPL are getting long in the tooth give their age. The graphics are a bit dated by today's standards, but they are still good simulations. Just be patient! Both are very hard to master. Also check out Blackhole Motorsports (http://www.bhmotorsports.com/) for updates, patches, skins, etc. There are tons of different cars skins, physics changes, etc for all three of these games on there.

Tim

Latest posts

Back