Rota's

Gretsch308

So I am thinking of getting Rota Grids after the winter next year. I want Hyper Black. has anyone had this finish in a Rota wheel? How does the finish hold up? I live on dirt roads so my wheels get dirty a lot therefore a wash my car a lot...Just wondering if I should go with a different finish.....

Meyagi

I'm a hack
ask bratman about his hyperblack rota grids and the paint that just falls off.

my reccomendation, you bought a real performance car, buy a set of real wheels.

Gretsch308

ask bratman about his hyperblack rota grids and the paint that just falls off.

my reccomendation, you bought a real performance car, buy a set of real wheels.
Sooooo you are a fan of Rota's
default_additional_sillylol.gif
What wheel do you think of when I say "Durable"? I probably don't need Rally wheels either.

Matt

volks!!!! I to bought some rotas, my story is a bit diff, sold bent crap but the paint was coming off in a lot of spots and it took a good day or two to sand/prep/paint/clear.....I wont buy them again

Meyagi

I'm a hack
Sooooo you are a fan of Rota's
default_additional_sillylol.gif
What wheel do you think of when I say "Durable"? I probably don't need Rally wheels either.
google image search "broken rota" and you will see why I don't want them.

search around on nasioc, or other subaru forums for a good deal on some volks/gramlights/works/bbs/enkeis/prodrives etc

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Yeah there isn't a huge chance of Grids breaking because of the stout design, but don't get hyper black. I am actually dealing with Rota right now, as wheeldude blows. If they warranty them, I am going to request a different color. It seems to be an issue with hyper black.

Here is a pic of the wheel that I is flaking off. And this is the second set that has done this.

010-2.jpg

GClark

Google "Volk wheels breaking."

It happens to every wheel, Nigel Prodrive has a few broken rally wheels (the strongest wheels ever) on his wall of shame. When you run into a curb/wall/tree/moped the wheels(no matter what they are) will most likely break. For some reason when people see someone who has crashed into a tree, and lo and behold his rota breaks, everyone jumps up and down and says "See! that's what you get for buying fake wheels!!LoLZ!" So your Rota broke, then what. You go buy another for $150 brandy new. So your Volk breaks, better empty out the bank account! More rotas break, because there are more out there. How many people on NASIOC run Rotas, and don't have problems? Dis many http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298289

I have Rota DPT's. No flaking paint, no cracks, no nothing, and I live on a long dirt driveway. If you put Rota's on your car, your car will not spontaneously implode, as many people think. They are perfectly fine when used for what they were made for, riding dirty.
default_cool.png

You could spend a few grand on wheels, or buy Rotas, save money, and put the rest into go fast bits. As Bratman mentioned, stay away from hyper black, although I really haven't seen too many other sets flaking as badly as his are.

I will some day have "real" wheels, but there is so many other things I want to do first, like get rid of my tiny TD04

Last edited by a moderator:

Nate

Founding Father
^^^ this. I run Rotas also. Two different sets actually. Winter and summer. I like them just fine. I guess I just don't prefer to drive around on Maine roads with $1k/piece wheels.

Stein

Stein
Google "Volk wheels breaking."

It happens to every wheel, Nigel Prodrive has a few broken rally wheels (the strongest wheels ever) on his wall of shame. When you run into a curb/wall/tree/moped the wheels(no matter what they are) will most likely break. For some reason when people see someone who has crashed into a tree, and lo and behold his rota breaks, everyone jumps up and down and says "See! that's what you get for buying fake wheels!!LoLZ!" So your Rota broke, then what. You go buy another for $150 brandy new. So your Volk breaks, better empty out the bank account! More rotas break, because there are more out there. How many people on NASIOC run Rotas, and don't have problems? Dis many http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298289

I have Rota DPT's. No flaking paint, no cracks, no nothing, and I live on a long dirt driveway. If you put Rota's on your car, your car will not spontaneously implode, as many people think. They are perfectly fine when used for what they were made for, riding dirty.
default_cool.png

You could spend a few grand on wheels, or buy Rotas, save money, and put the rest into go fast bits. As Bratman mentioned, stay away from hyper black, although I really haven't seen too many other sets flaking as badly as his are.

I will some day have "real" wheels, but there is so many other things I want to do first, like get rid of my tinny TD04
Amen brother.

Slow-Clap.gif

I'm not even going to correct your spelling.

Gretsch308

I think everyone has some strong valid points. I'm kinda leaning towards gclarks standpoint. I don't really wanna dump a couple thousand on wheels that will be on dirt roads every day. Maybe if I move I'll upgrade to higher end wheels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gretsch308

Yeah there isn't a huge chance of Grids breaking because of the stout design, but don't get hyper black. I am actually dealing with Rota right now, as wheeldude blows. If they warranty them, I am going to request a different color. It seems to be an issue with hyper black.

Here is a pic of the wheel that I is flaking off. And this is the second set that has done this.

010-2.jpg
Man that sucks. Rota would be stupid not to cover them. Would be bad for business in my opinion.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Well I fought with wheeldude about it for a while and they did nothing for me. Even though I have ALL the info about them. So I am really hoping they do something about it. This is the second set in a row that has done this. I will be going for a different color if they do warranty them!

Apollyon12

I may be remembering wrong, but I think that Rota had a badly cast batch of wheels at one point. That is where most of the "bad rota" pictures come from.

I recently bought a set of XXR wheels for my Datsun. They have quite a good selection and are on the cheaper end of the spectrum. I only bought new because the bolt pattern and offset are a relatively rare combination now (even though it's the same as the fox body mustangs). Otherwise I would have bought a used set on CL. I see no reason to pay full price when a lot of people are selling good rims for cheap. Just search for 5x100 in Maine, NH and Boston. With a little time you could find a whole set for $200 or less.

Gretsch308

Well I fought with wheeldude about it for a while and they did nothing for me. Even though I have ALL the info about them. So I am really hoping they do something about it. This is the second set in a row that has done this. I will be going for a different color if they do warranty them!
Good luck man!

katnip

the car is black. I swear
why spend that much money for aftermarket wheels? what's wrong with stock wheels? better things to spend that kinda money on!

Gretsch308

why spend that much money for aftermarket wheels? what's wrong with stock wheels? better things to spend that kinda money on!
Truth! On the other hand tho I have always liked the look of after market wheels. I think it really makes the vehicle "pop". Also I am going for 50% performance and 50% aesthetics. This is my DD so I want a mix of both. Still not sure if I will even get wheels for it. The 11's have the best OEM's imo.

Latest posts

Back