rounded off downpipe bolt

glincalinc

I have a rounded off downpipe bolt where the downpipe connects to the turbo, ive tried everything lockjaws, die grinder, special rounded bolt tools. Im ready to take it to a shop and looking for suggestions for a place in the bangor area that will be able to take it off for me.

i-wagon

Can you get at it with an angle grinder to grind the head off without collateral damage? Or oxy/fuel torches perhaps?

glincalinc

I dont have any of those tools and Im tired off pouring money into it, so im just looking for someone to pay to do it

skipow

weld socket onto said bolt? or cut a notch in the head of the bolt for a flathead screwdriver type bit?

WashmyScooby

That happened to me too. Those downpipe bolts are ON THERE, so it takes some force to get them off. We actually had to use a torch and then we were able to put 1 size smaller wrench on it and get it to move (I think we used a 13mm). We ended up melting the net in the process. Make sure you go buy new ones at the dealership when you put your new downpipe on.

i-wagon

theres a reason I only haave 6pt sockets. if they round a nut or bolt, it's getting torched off

Is it a bolt or stud with nuts on it? If it's a nut you can use a chisel and split it. Farther you drive it in the more it will open.

glincalinc

Got it! brought it to a local shop in newport and they threw it up on jacks and just used a giant extension and special rounded of bolt sockets. Went home and finished installing the downpipe, stage 2 is amazing!

Latest posts

Back