Ryan's 05 STI

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
Got the timing belt, tensioner, and rollers done today.  Glad I did it, because the cog idler was smokkkeeeddd.  Also, PSA, please don't overtighten the A/C tensioner pulley bracket if you ever remove one... I had to drill one out and tap a new hole since one of the bolts broke off from being wayyyy overtight and stressed @ the head joint.
default_additional_unamused.gif
  I put everything back together except for the bracket, then jaKe stopped by after work and let me borrow his right angle drill, and helped turn some bolts and drink some beer.  
default_additional_thumbsup.gif
   Next time the A/C compressor or alternator comes out, I'm just replacing the whole bracket.

Old jenk:

20130918_115403.jpg

I didn't trust two other idlers for 80k+ longer, so I just replaced them all:

20130918_130025.jpg

All torqued to spec and happy:

20130918_130144.jpg

All timed up w/ the new belt.

20130918_140949.jpg

Good to go for another 80-100k!

Last edited by a moderator:

RyanR

Got the rear swaybar, new bushings, and shiny new rear kartboy links in as well.  Was waiting on a new left hand sway mount to toss them in:

20130919_110308.jpg

Trying them out on the inside and outside of the sway to see if it makes a diff.  Probably won't.  They seem to sit more upright on the inside.

Look what wandered into my shop
default_additional_rockon.gif
:

20130919_094717.jpg

I may consider a "bring your own gallon jug" deal if anyone up this way wants some, since I'll have about 3 gallons extra.

Not now chief, it's effin' tune time:

20130919_111053.jpg

Stage 1.  Started with an XPT base map I had sitting around on a hard drive, and tuned it up for the Cobb intake.  Runs fantastic.

Anyone know where I can get my exhaust dB level tested in the Bangor area, or wherever if it's not by Bangor?

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
Got the rear swaybar, new bushings, and shiny new rear kartboy links in as well.  Was waiting on a new left hand sway mount to toss them in:

attachicon.gif
20130919_110308.jpg

Trying them out on the inside and outside of the sway to see if it makes a diff.  Probably won't.  They seem to sit more upright on the inside.

Look what wandered into my shop
default_additional_rockon.gif
:

attachicon.gif
20130919_094717.jpg

I may consider a "bring your own gallon jug" deal if anyone up this way wants some, since I'll have about 3 gallons extra.

Not now chief, it's effin' tune time:

attachicon.gif
20130919_111053.jpg

Stage 1.  Started with an XPT base map I had sitting around on a hard drive, and tuned it up for the Cobb intake.  Runs fantastic.

Anyone know where I can get my exhaust dB level tested in the Bangor area, or wherever if it's not by Bangor?
I don't know of any shops...I haven't been hassled, knock on wood

RyanR

I don't know of any shops...I haven't been hassled, knock on wood
It's barely louder than stock, but it doesn't say STI on the tail pipe.  Cobb claims it meets the Cali 95dB limit, so I'd rather have a piece of paper in the glove box that gets me out of a ticket in the case of an officer having a bad day.

RyanR

So Emily and I (and Daisy) went for a trip to Saint John, New Brunswick this past weekend.  After doing a ton of work to fix up the car for big trips, and wanting to get away, we decided to go for it.  If you haven't been up that way, grab your passport and get to it!  We didn't really have any plans on the way up, just to get away.  Emily found a cool road called the "The Fundy Trail Parkway", which is an absolutely amazing drive, and the scenery cannot be beat!  It costs $6 CAD per person for the entire day.  If we had known about it before heading up, we would have planned to do some hiking or brought bikes and hit the extensive trails.  If you go up that way, do yourself a favor and drive the coast as much as possible to get there and back.  ~625mi round trip from the Bangor area.

Gettin' out in the Maine sticks:

IMG_0307.jpg

More twisties (lots of these on this trip):

IMG_0308.jpg

Daisy says, "Car rides are my favorite, but where the hell are we going?":

IMG_0331.jpg

Cruising, taking in the Maine scenery:

IMG_0333.jpg

Arrived in St. John, view from the hotel:

20130921_163954.jpg

Views from the Fundy Trail Parkway:

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

Car:

IMG_0402.jpg

Gorgeous day.  Even though it was overcast, which made the lighting shiatty for photos:

IMG_0410.jpg

Car:

IMG_0411.jpg

Views:

IMG_0417.jpg

Car:

IMG_0427.jpg

Views:

IMG_0443.jpg

Steep!:

IMG_0477.jpg

More Steep!:

IMG_0458.jpg

Dog:

IMG_0485.jpg

Stopped at the sea caves on the way out of St. Martins:

IMG_0491.jpg

Panoramic (clicky click):

20130922_130750.jpg

Covered bridge action on the way back to St. John:

IMG_0522.jpg

The Fundy Trail Parkway is definitely not meant for bombing around like the Kanc, but the scenery is amazing.  This would be a great group drive for 5-7 cars, and is pretty much the exact same distance the fall group drive (NH) is for us northern folk (just sayin').

RyanR

In case you have never been over the border, I should mention how friendly the people are up that way. They make us 'muricans look like grumps. They also know a thing or two about beer and delicious food.

RyanR

So the car has had an occasional click in the rear since I purchased it back, which I figured was a CV joint from the sounds of things.  Got to poking around and found the axle nut had backed off a few degrees, just enough to be at about 110 ft. lbs. of torque.  You can see where it was previously staked had moved counter-clockwise a bit, just enough to loosen up and cause the clicking.

axlenut.jpg

Tossed on a new nut, and torqued it to spec, then staked it down, and the clicking is gone!  Yay for a $4 repair, instead of $400 for a new axle, or $200 for one CV joint.

Next up is the gearbox and diff fluid change.  I'll also check the valve clearances, and hope I don't have to swap out any buckets, since I'll have to kick myself in the ass for not just doing it when I did the tbelt
default_additional_unamused.gif
  The belt needed to be done ASAP though because of the junk cog idler, so whatevs.

RyanR

400$ for a cv shaft??
That's the fred beans price for new oem, yes. Could probably get a better deal from a local dealer, but I wouldn't expect it to be much cheaper. They don't sell many of those.

GClark

Nice pics from St. John.  I've done the same on my bike (RIP), great roads.  Try to get up to Cape Brenton on a long weekend.  The best roads you'll ever drive on.  

RyanR

Upgraded the lights in my shop last week, so I can actually SEE.

lightsfinally.jpg

RyanR

Also received some JDM as f*ck rear LSD oil.  Japanese characters and isht all over it.  +60hp. 

You can't buy a liter of 90LS any longer, as it comes in 4L containers now.  This is only needed for 04-06 STIs.  Anyone that wants to split this up with me is welcome to shoot me a PM.

lsdoil.jpg

Latest posts

Back