Ryan's Rally Build

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
Quick text only update:

All interior stitch welding is complete. All suspension bits off the car. Ground out all seam sealer necessary to stitch weld inside strut towers. Welding those tomorrow, then painting the wells. Jake working on swapping in new bearings in rear hubs as well as pressing in the ARP wheel studs.

Interior will be painted when this 50 degree weather hits in the next few days. Tons of things incoming, and motor should be here in the next weekish. Almost time to quit chassis work and start bolting in parts and making brackets to carry necessary items :)

30 days until the car's first event!

RyanR

Teaser:

header.jpg

hubs.jpg

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
I had gt spec uel headers on my xt. They were awesome. That 3 bolt up pipe flange is so much better than the 2 bolt. I couldn't go for the equal length, my old school subaru roots go too deep.

RyanR

Rest of the chassis is stripped thanks to Jake.  I spent the day finishing the stitch welding on the exterior of the car.  Glad to be approaching the assembly stage.

Time for paint!  Once painted, I can start reinstalling everything and get to work on braided brake and fuel lines for the whole car.  Motor should be here in time to get it broken in and tuned!

I'll have to get out to the shop tomorrow and take some pictures of the car's current status.

weldin.jpg

two.jpg

three.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RyanR

So there's good news, and bad news:  

The good news is that the car is coming along great!  The bad news is that it won't be finished in time for the May 9th Team O'Neil rally sprint I wanted to shake the car down at.  Several things have stacked up against the timeline as the build has progressed, and they don't seem to be surmountable in the time remaining.  That being said, I've withdrawn the team from the event, and we'll have to shoot for something else later this summer.  I would rather that another team be able to enjoy the event than for me to push to the end, only to find out that the car isn't ready and deny someone else a shot.

Photos dumps of the progress:  

The chassis was mostly stripped, with the exception of some wiring harnesses and prepped for paint.  ALL of the stitch welding was finished on the chassis as well.  Lots of parts were spec'd and ordered, and many parts showed up.

cageprogress.jpg

cageprogress2.jpg

cagedone.jpg

backseat.jpg

Did the engine bay for kicks:

enginebay.jpg

All done with the plastic removed and paint cured:

cageshot.jpg

bestcagepic.jpg

A strange steering rack made its way into the engine cradle:

rackinstalled.jpg

I started working on figuring out pedal box placements, and measured out for all of the lines:

pedalbox.jpg

Got the dash trimmed up and fitted back in.  Haven't decided if I'll run a dash or not:

dashfornow.jpg

More cage pictars (handbrake not in actual install location):

stuff.jpg

Something else showed up in two crates:

shortblock.jpg

assembled.jpg

sleeves.jpg

enginestand.jpg

valves.jpg

This is how it got that way:

boreliners.jpg

linersgone.jpg

prepassage.jpg

bore2.jpg

final.jpg

seamless.jpg

sleevedhalves.jpg

hone.jpg

cranky.jpg

pistons.jpg

rotating.jpg

seats.jpg

seats2.jpg

Looking forward to pressing on with this build!  I appreciate all of the help that many folks have contributed to the project so far, and also all of the advice from those currently rallying.  Can't wait to have this thing operational!

RyanR

Tasty engine progress!!!  A friend of mine named Jon (yamasxv on here) that I haven't seen in a while came by, so we decided to turn some wrenches on the ol' project.

Installed some studly studs, and an 11mm oil pump w/ crank seal:

studs1.jpg

Threw on some gasket things.  Surgical cleanliness and attention to detail is required to please my automotive OCD:

gasket2.jpg

So shiny!  I hate to toss carbon through it...:

head3.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmmm:

head4.jpg

Easy does it!:

easydoesit.jpg

One head installed! Torqued to ARP specs:

headinstalled5.jpg

Second head installed! Torqued to ARP specs, and Subaru OEM Tri-bond sealant on the cam cap where required:

head26.jpg

Two heads are better than one! :

2heads7.jpg

Red leader standing by...:

tiefighter8.jpg

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggg...:

hnnnnng9.jpg

Excited to have the rest of it together in the next few days- as free time allows!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back