Scrap heap Outback Winter Beater

SurlyOBS

Fastest car buying decision I have ever made led to my new 2013-2014 winter beater Outback.  When I noticed the Outback posted for $200 and it ran and drove I thought: "what's the catch?"  So I bought it and figure if I don't like it and it doesn't work out then it goes to the big Subaru scrap heap in the sky.  After all, I recently had to pay $200 for a hotel room for one night to attend a wedding.  A crappy Subaru is way better all winter then a crappy hotel room for one night.  

Got it home last night and spent today cleaning it up.  I made back $4.32 in loose change not counting what was sucked up by the shop vac.  The car was filthy but actually cleaned up pretty well.  Found out it has a block heater, heated mirrors and the heated seats work.  Bonus!

OkI4grgl.jpg

Once I was done polishing the turd I added the ingredients to make it a true winter beater:  A well worn tow strap, nice rubber floor mats, RainX orange windshield washer fluid and a functional ice scraper.  Next item needed is proper snow tires, the most important part.  

lhz1rGHl.jpg

Finally I added the Thule rack and fairing and then stickered up the car...because I'll need the extra HP from each awesome sticker.  This beast doesn't drive like the RS.  The rack is necessary because it's an Outback: The Unofficial Car of Maine and also because I build bikes professionally and I need a rack on every vehicle-no excuses or exceptions!  Perhaps I should go with the Maine State Car theme and do a plaid headliner and grassy turf carpet...might kill the resale value
default_smile.png

syRP3BNl.jpg

That's all for now in the first 24 hours of ownership.  I'm going out to the garage to work on it more.  

SurlyOBS

Today I finished installing the bike trays and mocked up the "Thule Dildo" Cargo pod.  

AdAMTAWl.jpg

vxoBwmKl.jpg

It turns out that the stock Outback suspension won't clear 31'' tires...  

3y9Lue6l.jpg

Even my Winter Beater snow bike has bigger tires!

iEtbpyvl.jpg

Now I'm almost ready for some snow.  Yes I know the rear mats are VW ones.  The matching fronts are in my wife's Honda and they work well so who cares.  

FqSLvXml.jpg

That's all for now.

SurlyOBS

Thanks to Kam for the hookup with fixing the exhaust today. I expect to see the Outback's hitch on that Fozzie ASAP!

Also put on some RallyArmor flaps that were hanging out in the garage.

KamB

Kam Berry
I'm in class and just burst out laughing at the "Thule dildo".... Hahahaha

Your welcome. I'm having to mod it big time but it'll work. Damn 6" can. Have some 2" tubing and a stick welder, it'll work
default_smile.png

SurlyOBS

Bought a newer Outback to match the Beater.  Same color only newer and 500% nicer.  

9zI1c0sl.jpg

Then I put the 16'' Outback snows on the beater for some early season fun.

aJUstGcl.jpg

Fun was had with large snowbanks
default_smile.png

F1ad8bAl.jpg

launched off a RR track crossing in the woods...

AGwXkINl.jpg

It's still running.   

SurlyOBS

More snow fun with the OB Beater.  

Right after the RR track jump my I let my buddy drive and he smacked it into a tree:

rbApllcl.jpg

Then I went out in the last big storm and purposely crashed into large snowbanks because it was fun.

M4962Jgl.jpg

so much for getting a new sticker anytime soon...and it was almost fixed before that tree jumped out.  Moral: don't let your friend crash your car, do it yourself instead.  Actually i think he's going to buy it and fix it up.  Ha!

Vecken

When you're done with it, I want it. I also have a 200$ winter beater, only mine is silver and actually drives nice on the highway.

SurlyOBS

When you're done with it, I want it. I also have a 200$ winter beater, only mine is silver and actually drives nice on the highway.
What did you need parts wise?  I've been toying with the idea of parting it and then scrapping it.  I've been having lots of fun this winter so far but it's at the point that it's almost not worth the hassle to get it stickered and fixed up.  

Vecken

Quite a few misc parts really, I know struts are starting to show some wear, body panels, a bunch of accessories, I have no cash now but by the time you're done with it this winter I'd like to take the whole thing off your hands.

Latest posts

Back