Should i drop a 2.2 into my outback or just do the head gasket job again?

Legacy22GT

I'm considering putting a 2.2 into my 98 outback.

the 2.5 needs head gaskets, and the last head gasket job I did failed after 2 months.

kinda an expensive mistake.

so, knowing the 2.2 is nearly bulletproof, would you put it in and be done with it? or do the 2.5 and get the extra power?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Has it been overheated?

If you haven't overheated the engine, it shouldn't have ruined the bearings. So it should live with new head gaskets.

The only reason head gaskets fail after they've just been replaced is because they weren't done properly. I've done plenty of 25D head gaskets, and never had one fail after I did. Sometimes the motor will spin a bearing later because of being overheated, but not a failed gasket.

It was caused to fail again by either bad gaskets (anything besides subaru gaskets from subaru), the heads/block weren't cleaned well, weren't torqued properly, etc.

If it was me, and the 25d hasn't been overheated, I'd just replace the gaskets properly, and be done with it. If it's been overheated a bunch and run with bad gaskets for a while, the rod bearings are gonna want freedom. Then 22 swap is gonna be easier.

Latest posts

Back