SKIPOW brumby. 86' Brat

skipow

my newest and most favorite purchase-

1986 subaru brat. aka "the brumby"

40k miles on the car. World Rally Blue.

somebody must have bought this car/truck and sat it in a field for 10 years. the underside is pretty rusty while above the floorplans- its nearly spotless.

runs and drives awesome. scary over 60mph though.

All mechanical items work great, 4speed, dual range 4wd, heat and all gauges and lights work.

got it for a steal, put $400 in rust repair already but it was a worthwhile cost i think.

i've been reading lots trying to find some lift options for the old girl but finding info / parts for these things is a true art form.

74078110101250684425283.jpg

when i first bought it. it literally crawled out of 10" of snow. the rear end is so light i watched two big dudes pick up the rear end entirely off the ground and set it over two feet.

20130121125627.jpg

20130121125640.jpg

20130121125657.jpg

custom SHEEPSKIN seat cover is so warm and cozy.

20130121125705.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
I used to regular drive mine at 70,and that was lifted with big tires! Sweet rig. Parts are pretty easy to find, if you know where to look. Hit me up if you need anything. And the Subary fun roofs are awesome. They pop up, or can be taken out completely. I still have a spare set of those too.

05RSKID

I wanted to buy this saw it for sale two different time and didn't have the money at the time. What are your plans for her?

skipow

im still trying to research lift options, im having trouble finding good info and how-to's. most people make custom lifts it seems like.

beyond that, it doesn't have a rear bumper currently so im trying to plan how to build a strong and functional rear bumper with tow rings.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Lift is very easy. Or you can buy one for a few hundred. But then you will want bigger tires, and for that you need bigger wheels, which can be a little more difficult. As for a rear bumper, use some square or thick flat stock to slide in the rear frame rails and use the existing bumper bolt holes, then weld whatever you want to those for the actual bumper. I have some stuff kicking around that might interest you, feel free to message me with any questions.

05RSKID

Haha ok just wanted to make sure you didnt think i wanted it Lol well good.luck with her and cant wait to see it in person

urabusturbo

Nice find! I have an 86 Brat that is now just a parts car pretty much. If you want the lift out of it I would be willing to sell it or any other parts that may interest you. I have some neat stuff like a roll bar and jump seats too. I regret not taking better car of my Brat and restoring it when it was still worth restoring. I loved when it was on (or off) the road, it got tons of attention and it seems everyone has a story involving one long long ago. Such a cool car, its a shame most of them are gone now.

Latest posts

Back