Sneak Peek at the new Subaru

Iboc_C64

I gots to say Subaru, I dunno where your vehicle body designers went to school, but its obviously the same place as Kia, Mazda, Chevy, Honda and just about every other lame looking grocery getter sedan. The Impreza's 2011 body was nice. I don't like my 2009 as much and really didn't care for the stock looks in 2008. 2007 and before was always a nice looking car. So obviously, we have learned that subaru's new line is following the industry status quo and they have learned nothing about thier fanbase since 2007, except for thier 1 sucess with the 2011 WRX, I don't think they have learned a thing. I guess we need to wait and see what the 2012 WRX will look like to be sure though.
default_huh.png

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
You could have at least posted the bloody picture... You said it sucks? Time to have a big long winded write up about car styling!

6TCue.jpg

Hmm... High beltline, awkward curvey flairs, at least the lines have been smoothed out compared to......

2qkuma0.jpg

Third gens got hit hard by the continued increase safety regulations. High belt lines will never go away. So manufactures have to design around them. Bubble hoods and tall trunks are here to stay as well.

Imprezas

Lets fire up the whole impreza line and do some comparisons:

(we'll only go from the side since that's all we have to work with right now)

ykWx1.jpg

4th gens: An improvement upon the third gens. Third gens had to raise the beltline to meet safety regulations. This left a lot of void space on the sides of the car. The negative space was cured on the 2011 by adding the curve flairs. The 2012 seems to fill the void space on the sides with the curve flairs and the door crease. Side windows have also been refined from the third gen so they end less awkwardly and abruptly. The disaster that was the third gen C pilar has been fixed. The car is meant to look sleeker, and it pulls it off much better compared to the third gens. They did good work for what they've got to work with.

3rd gens: Wow what happened. Regulations murdered this one. Framed doors, high beltline, bubble hood, big tall trunk. All in the name of safety. Styling over recent years has favored curves over sharper lines. Most cars feel bland and generic. The seam lines are also very awkward compared to second gens. The bumper cover seams being at odd angles is distracting and awkward, where as the 2nd gen's managed to have them as close to horizontal as reasonable, also managing to flow with the box flare and door crease lines.

2nd gen: Lower beltine compared to third gens, yet higher than the first gens. Void space on the doors is filled by the box flares and the door accent seam. Side rockers and skirts also add something to look at compared to third gens. Compared to the 1st gen, the hood looks a bit taller/higher, but still manages to maintain the lines of the car compared to the wtf bubble of the third gens. Greenhouse area is still pretty big, but isn't as much as the first gens.

1st gen: Ah the GC impreza. The golden boy of imprezas. Subaru and Prodrive made this bad boy. Note how the beltline is the lowest of all the imprezas. The beltline to greenhouse ratio is much much different compared to current cars. The larger greenhouse area makes GC's look like the pope-mobile in my opinion. I think they look dorky from the side, others may argue otherwise. The lower hood and beltlines are the result of both styling at the time along with less safety rules to adhere to than we have currently. The 90's japanese car styling is very apparent on the early imprezas, the front end very much so.

Other Cars!

Now we've done a side by side comparison of the imprezas, lets look at some other cars. I'll only do the 4th gen and 1st gen imprezas because I've already written a lot that most people will skip over already.

2011 mazda3. Same class of small japanese 4 door. Couldn't find any 2012 side press shots, so we'll work with what we got. Things to note, mazda3 is cheaper, better on gas, but fwd.

rJVqS.png

6TCue.jpg

Same tall belt, bubble hood, tall trunk. Same aggressive jagged headlights. Same rear passenger window. Impreza wins on the bumper cover seam for the rear and door crease. Fenders are a push. Mazda 3 front end has the retarded looking happy face which is supposed to be tone down on future models.

Lets do the 2010 Chevy Aveo!

TzIPx.png

6TCue.jpg

Look at it yourself. The Aveo looks dorky as hell. Fine fine, I'll take this serious. High belt lines on the aveo and the higher degree of angle on the A and C pillars give the impression of more greenhouse area while still maintaining the high belt to pass safety. Side door body lines fill the negative space caused by high belt, and when compared to 3rd gen imprezas, you can see the importance of filling this space, either by flares or creases or what have you. Impreza has a sleeker profile than the aveo in my opinion...

kuat3.png

6TCue.jpg

Kia Rio. Yup

Last one on your list, Honda:

p5a32.png

6TCue.jpg

High belt bubble hood as expected. Impreza fills the side voids better. Longer hood of the impreza manages to make for a sleeker looking car. Civic handles the A and C pillar angles much better than the aveo and reo, and similar to the impreza to make for a sleeker looking car.

But but but! The older cars were unique snowflakes that were nothing like the other cars of their time!

uj4Rf.jpg

PkNHL.jpg

Welp.

Note the headlights, grill, bumper cover. You'll see the similar shapes between the two models.

KF1qH.jpg

Not as aggressive as the GTR or impreza because it's a boring sedan, but you'll notice styling similarities. Similar headlight shape, grill opening. Hole in the middle of the bumper cover. Same belt lines.

Each car has their good parts and flaws. Some are arguably better than others. I think the 06-07's were the best impreza, others argue the GCs were, and nates 3rd gen looks amazing after the tweaks he's done. Styling remains similar to the cars of the generation with companies cross pollinating each other with the styling of the current times. It'll be interesting to see what the future brings in engineering, styling, and safety regulations. It's all give and take my friend.

Also, the wrx/sti is staying on the third gen platform for 2012.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
new design seems less generic than current gen....esp like the kink where rear roofline meets bottom of rear window, a la "hofmeister kink" that BMW has used for years.

wheel bulges are def improvement over marshmallow 2010-11s.

pic of new car....meh, maroon would make any car look like your gramma's ride.

Iboc_C64

Wow Dan, you REALLY thought that one through. I was just complaining that the one Pictured in the E-Mail, which I assumed everyone else that is subscribed the Subaru Promotional E-Mails also got. It looks like a 2008 model, but run through a "soften image" or blurr filter in comparison. Basically they just rounded all the hard edges. In a luxury car, this would be a plus. I just think it takes away from everything aggressive the car had as far as styling goes. I still have not seen a concept for the 2012 WRX but the base impreza in my opinion, looks like a chevy cruz or honda civic or something else bland and boring. It looks like any other FWD car on the market. Just my 2cents, if you hate me for that's fine. I just think its not the right direction. I can't attach the image while I am here at work, Web-sense prevents it.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Just my 2cents, if you hate me for that's fine.
No hate, never any hate from me. I just want to foster the concept of "I don't like this because of fact or reason x,y, and z." not "I don't like this because it sucks". I love the discussion, I just want to keep it highbrow.

Yeah, the subaru line has been a bit relaxed and less aggressive. There's a few things that contribute to that. Subaru pulling out of WRC and no longer having a car that fits the WRC rules means the impreza will be less focused on racing. A lot of the design decisions of the GC and GD imprezas really are amazing when you get under the cars. How the lines are routed, the suspension choices, etc. The 3rd gens started the decline and softening. Which is questionable. As enthusiasts, yeah we're going to be pissed. But when you spend a lot of time at the dealership, we're not the largest percentage base of customers. I've seen a lot of people come into EG who use their car as a transportation appliance just like any other companies car.

The softening of the impreza line is inevitable. Not everyone wants a stiff car with no heat or ac or radio. If you're not racing the car, the other direction is comfort.

Yes the turbo impreza line gets a lot of people talking, and that kid who's got a stiffy for the wrx's parents might go "hmm, lets go look at these suuubahroo things the kid keeps talking about" *drives away in 2011 forester for new family car*. But at the end of the day, the dealerships are moving more transportation appliances than sports cars.

It looks like a 2008 model, but run through a "soften image" or blurr filter in comparison. Basically they just rounded all the hard edges. In a luxury car, this would be a plus.

I just think it takes away from everything aggressive the car had as far as styling goes. I still have not seen a concept for the 2012 WRX but the base impreza in my opinion, looks like a chevy cruz or honda civic or something else bland and boring. It looks like any other FWD car on the market. Just my 2cents, if you hate me for that's fine. I just think its not the right direction. I can't attach the image while I am here at work, Web-sense prevents it.
This is definitely a press shot, the lighting etc etc. Plus you know it's been tweaked in photoshop. We're all talking out of our butts at this point until we can get a same color 3rd gen next to a same color 4th gen.

Yes, I agree that the styling is moving in a more softened direction, but I feel the 2012 car is a step in the right direction compared to the recent cars. The third gen screams "HEY GUYS I AM A CAR LOL, gonna get some groceries then take my mom to bingo!!!" It's not a racecar, but at least the 2012 has some class. If they putt a legacy badge on the butt, more people would be happy. The impreza line will never be as raw as any of us here want it to be, but it could be a heck of a lot worse. Subaru is listening and trying, (2011 widebody, new gen STi sedan) you can't just poop out a new car in a fortnight (retooling molds and factory lines), especially things that aren't reasonable in a business sense.

AiRX

Really? Really. Really!
default_blink.png
I just don't know why. Like Dan, I don't hate. But I am not sure of the direction here. I do know that they are trying to seperate the Impreza from the WRX and STI. They should have... IDK.

Iboc_C64

Ok, I may have been a little harsh now that I see the side by side comparisons. I could not see them at work do to the filter they use. Mark, thanks for the better angles. I guess this thing looks more like the mutant child of a legacy and a late model civic. Yuck on the tail lights. The front profile is very... squarish.
default_additional_unamused.gif

BTW I should not have said Hate earlier, I meant it as a figure of speech. I would not think you guys would judge me that quick, heh. I need to watch my language for political correctness, lol.

The other mistake I made that I just now realized. The 2011 impreza looks pretty much the same as the 2009 and 2008. I was thinking that this is what they were gonna base the WRX on and those body styles are what I had it mind when I first started thinking and posting about this. I was on break at work and just thinking quick, so I was a bit off there. I hope they do something more eye catching with this if they ever try to make a WRX out of it.

Man..... I really don't like that front end... especially the grill and foglight arrangement. Its sooo... not impreza.

Last edited by a moderator:

04fxt

Not sure if this pic will show up, but.... 06 maxima comes to mind in that shot of the rear.

default_additional_unamused.gif

2006-nissan-maxima-4-door-sedan-sl-auto-angular-rear-exterior-view_100266636_m.jpg

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
God damn. Press hot looks like a classy legacy.

Real shots look like a pregnant fourth gen legacy with bubble hoods and fenders and trunks. They could have at least smoothed it out rather than taking a 3rd gen and filling it with helium.

AiRX

I know, It was a late Friday night design crunch and they were running late for SAKI at the bar. I knew I could figure it out.

Iboc_C64

The thing that makes me think CIVIC so much is the configuration of the windows. Especially that mini windows ahead of the mirror. And yeah, maybe it is more aerodynamic, but I liked the way the rear of the passenger compartment use to drop off before, it helped to really accentuate the various spoilers available on the old impreza styles in my opinion.

...Had to edit for spelling, it happens. Lol

i-wagon

I think that's the first impreza I've liked the looks of since the 07s (exclujding the new widebody)

Latest posts

Back