Snow vs car = snow wins!

brycetron

yeah JoJo.  My Car has the same cracks in the same spot.  Theres a huge thread on Nasioc about people with the same cracks.  I guess it comes down to weak plastic and the bumper not being secured enough.  A couple owners posted pics of their brand new cars (sub 4k miles) with cracks in the same locations, just from normal driving.  Its a thing.  I ordered a lip with a side mission of strengthening the bumper a bit.  

I was a little nervoud this winter going through it with summer tires on but the car has been a champ.  Only a couple little things.  Bumped ice with the front bumper and made one of the cracks on the lower front bumper worse.  then yesterday I ran over my rear rally armor mud flap after backing over some ice in the driveway..  Just popped the plastic washer through the hole.  No rips or anything so that was an easy fix.

jojo69

yeah JoJo.  My Car has the same cracks in the same spot.  Theres a huge thread on Nasioc about people with the same cracks.  I guess it comes down to weak plastic and the bumper not being secured enough.  A couple owners posted pics of their brand new cars (sub 4k miles) with cracks in the same locations, just from normal driving.  Its a thing.  I ordered a lip with a side mission of strengthening the bumper a bit.  

I was a little nervoud this winter going through it with summer tires on but the car has been a champ.  Only a couple little things.  Bumped ice with the front bumper and made one of the cracks on the lower front bumper worse.  then yesterday I ran over my rear rally armor mud flap after backing over some ice in the driveway..  Just popped the plastic washer through the hole.  No rips or anything so that was an easy fix.
Yeah I saw that thread. It's reassuring but still oh so very annoying! I am sure the cold is also making things worst, but I am surprised at how brittle the subaru bumper is. My 20 yo civic hatch who went through 2 winters never once had such problems. 

I do thing the lip helps hold it together so to speak. On a positive note, a few days ago, on one of the warmer days I was able to pop the lower crack back in, and zip tied the lip together. I'll still need to do more zip tie repairs once the weather is warmer, but for now it's holding up. 

brycetron

Yeah I saw that thread. It's reassuring but still oh so very annoying! I am sure the cold is also making things worst, but I am surprised at how brittle the subaru bumper is. My 20 yo civic hatch who went through 2 winters never once had such problems. 

I do thing the lip helps hold it together so to speak. On a positive note, a few days ago, on one of the warmer days I was able to pop the lower crack back in, and zip tied the lip together. I'll still need to do more zip tie repairs once the weather is warmer, but for now it's holding up. 
I hear yah on it being annoying.  I bought the car used so I have slightly improved tolerance for blemishes because I know I had no control over it.  My 2003 Lancer (which I bought new) has less scuffs on it than this 2011 STI has.  I guess tossing some fiberglass mat or something behind the bumper might help prevent it from getting worse.  Dont want to buy a whole new bumper if its gonna happen again anyway.  I call  
default_additional_bsflag.gif
 on Subaru for the bumper material strength. 

Latest posts

Back