So I bought a 2000 2.5 RS 4 door... kinda build thread.

roadtrip1098

The ride to work this morning, I wasn't sure it was going to make it up the hill by the Augusta airport. I had a flashing CEL, and it was sputtering pretty hard. The flashing CEL went away, and stayed off, so I was unable to read a code from it. Guess it's time to park it for a little while and track down some parts.

Lets just hope it makes it home.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
Misfire! I had that on my car the other day. Light went out but code still on the ecu. I had to change a coil because the tab the holds the plug on snapped off.

injulen

Does your RS have a veteran plate, and did you pull out of the Kmart plaza in Augusta yesterday, and passed a blue impreza wagon on the way down the hill? If so, that was me
default_smile.png
I would have waved but it's hard to wave at someone passing on the right when you have a passenger.

roadtrip1098

Yeah that was my heap in all its glory. Was trying to get up speed just in case it stalled out again so I could coast most of the way home. Not sold on the coil idea, but as luck would have it the previous owner left what looks like a new coil on the rear deck maybe I'll swap it over. My immediate thought is that the fuel pump is being clogged by debris (yes it is that rusty)  and gets to a point where no fuel is making it through the lines. Then when it stalls and I shut the key off and back on, the debris falls off the bottom of the pump and allows fuel to go back through again. It was running pretty awesome Sunday morning, so I know it's capable of being awesome.

roadtrip1098

Well, assuming I get all the little issues sorted with it and it takes a sticker, it's fixing to look a lot better next summer. I found a wide body fender kit with side skirts for $850 shipped, and I have a spray gun at the house. I'm just trying to figure out what I want to do for a motor and tranny swap. It seems like every time I bring it up, I think of other possibilities. Right now it's a toss up between an EJ257/6spd swap, an FA with 6 speed, or the new thought is dropping an H6 in it. It all comes down to price and availability when I get around to it.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
one of my coworkers has a hybrid build. wrx shortblock with sohc heads and a td04. not sure what he's using for engine management, but its an rs similar to yours

sooch

Type-RA
Im pretty sure an FA in an rs is nearly impossible. If it is possible I can imagine plenty of wiring to drive anyone nuts.

roadtrip1098

Yeah that was a test drive, bought a brand new coil.... Still having issues. Going to yank the fuel pump, sending unit, filler neck and clean or replace them all. Also going to clean the throttle body, and all the assorted sensors in that area. I have a 3 day weekend, so I should be able to get it all taken care of. I may grab a set of fresh plugs and toss in my deep cell marine battery.

roadtrip1098

Update: New coil, fuel filter, plugs, and I cleaned everything real nice. I even pulled the injectors out and cleaned them. So far no real change. At this point I'm really leaning more towards a fueling issue. Luckily I have a line on a new tank, pump, sending unit, and filler neck for $150, so I may be back in business in a week or two. 

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
mmm, changing out the tank is really really fun. bring gallons of PB Blaster, a torch, nut crackers, EZ Outs, and all the assorted implements of destruction you have in your toolbox. prepare to get disgustingly grubby, and tell your Subie you don't really mean all those terribly foul words you will almost certainly hurl at the car while you're under there.

did you put in a fresh fuel filter?? before you tear into pump and tank, make sure you are getting sufficient fuel pressue downstream of the filter.

Last edited by a moderator:

brycetron

mmm, changing out the tank is really really fun. bring gallons of PB Blaster, a torch, nut crackers, EZ Outs, and all the assorted implements of destruction you have in your toolbox. prepare to get disgustingly grubby, and tell your Subie you don't really mean all those terribly foul words you will almost certainly hurl at the car while you're under there.

LOL. Exactly. I have swapped one fuel tank in my day. It was a learning experience. That's for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadtrip1098

There's a link to the photobucket album. I couldn't get the picture insert to work on my computer for some reason. I'll try to update the original post.

I already changed the fuel filter, no change in how it ran.

As for the gallons of PB blast, I'm not even going to bother. I'm just going to take out the DS and exhaust,  undo the lines and cut whatever I need to cut to drop it. The whole assembly is changing over, so I'm not concerned with pulling the pump and sending unit.

I finally removed the heat shields, so there's no more rattling. Also ran a bottle of gumout through the tank to help it out until I can get the new tank down here. That seems to have done wonders.

I'd be lying if I said the thought of doing one of the stupid eBay turbo kits hadn't crossed my mind. I figure I could run it until it blows, see what the SOHC can do, and then do my swap. 

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
well then QUARTS of PB Blaster then. here's what has to come out: exhaust, driveshaft, rear diff carrier and T-shaped subframe, tank straps, and a whole lotta fuel lines, filler neck, tank vent lines, and wiring to pump, sending unit, etc. We had to loosen rear suspension subframe (but not remove it thankfully) on my 2-door RS to get tank out and then back in. Took two of us, both very experienced Subaru techs, a long day to do the job. We had a lift, diff jack, and a well equipped shop.

We definitely did swear a lot, too.

Edit: I also vaguely remember having to drop the rear trailing arm mounts to gain extra clearance to get old tank out and new one in. But that may have been some other heinous job on an old Scoob.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back