[So] I'm building (Helping) a Pinewood Derby car(s) for my son.

ReZDoG

I'm not ReZPunk
Here are some early pics of them

This is the Speed racer one.. so far, it weights in at about 2oz. so I'm going to add weight in the rear... Plans are WRB paint job.

5b033732.jpg

The second one is a show car/adult racer.

a063bff2.jpg

04aabff0.jpg

This one I need to add material to the top to make the windows. get some Wood fill to smooth everything out, and finally end up painting it with the remaining WRB that I bought. heh.. I'll keep you posted

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Pro tips. Find a drill press, insert your nail axles, and polish them. Debur your plastic wheels. And get extra graphite for the wheels.

Legwagon

BC-BF-*BJ*
that's excellent! I remember when my grandfather, dad, and I built a silver and red car. It was a blast!

brighton

Rally Fluffer
Awww, the memory’s. I always looked forward to this in Scouts. “Cool Dad” props to you for taking the time to help out your boy with that much detail. He will be the kid with the “I want that” derby car.

Stryker

I remember doing those when I was younger, I got 3rd in the new england race one year, simplest car design too haha, we just built a car that was literally a thin wedge, I could put pictures up if I could find the thing, but it was pretty quick, and of course we polished everything and bought the spare wheel kits to find the best wheels to start from and smoothed them as best we could. We spent a good bit of time making the car go quick. My brother did this before me, so when I started I just continued his design which worked good. It had a rounded nose and was a wedge...but I got 3rd in regionals with a simpler car that I described before.

Pretty cool car your building though, I never built the show cars, but I saw some really cool ones when I went to the new england race, some people had carved out engine bays haha

Gate4jg

I actually still have my cars!!!! When I was in the scouts I lived for this. One of them, I got 3 trophies out of that little car until I accidently dropped it and that was the end of my winning streak. All I can say is balance the weight and put as much as you can on it. When looking back on it if it wasn't illegal to run a led brick on wheels I would have......

krazykarpenter

Not sure if this is still allowed but I threaded the wheels one year just enough so that they would not wobble, but not enough that they would lock up, worked really well.

Car looks great man!

Last edited by a moderator:

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
It's actually funny, I just found mine while going through some stuff in storage. I remember making it with my step dad.

saabaru

We did this in Junior High. We had wood shop, and this was one of the projects. I would like to find mine. Was very slow..

Mighty Subie

I was a life scout. Would have finished but being the most senior scout in my troop, I ended up just teaching people and not advancing. So I got mad and just did sports and band and the million other things I was involved in. I regret not finishing. I won some trophies with mine. I'm going to have to find them now!

Maxxguy25RS

my cars never looked good at all. but one did make it past the local pack races to the bigger races, where I was quickly eliminated. I made it to life scout as well. had other things on my plate as well. I wouldnt trade the experience for anything.

abenson100

<----- was not a scout. we had to build a car using a spool asone of the wheels for a jr high science class. most were ruberband powered. ours used a nitro rc plane engine :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ReZDoG

I'm not ReZPunk
First layer of paint.. Some more sanding tomorrow and most likely final coat..

a6b8d357.jpg

737fdefa.jpg

I also gutted the inside of this a bit.. So I can add weight where I want it..

39ea753f.jpg

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
I used melted lead on mine. We drilled big holes, and poured it into the holes, and then epoxied over it. Worked great!

Latest posts

Back