Solid engine mounts?

COSTIGAN86

Is anyone running solid engine mounts? Or even upgraded GroupN or Cusco Mounts? Revspec offers completely solid mounts for $100, but I can make some for free. I need something stiffer because my enormous STi-fitment tmic hits the hood, and I would like a racier feel. I know this will increase NVH. Just wondering what you guys think.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
I've got group N's on order.... I know ryan ran some N's in his bugeye before he mothballed it. stixxx has some for his red wrx.

The rally folks should have some info as well.

Ty Ty

I'd say go with group Ns, you'll probably be much happier that way. Solid mounts will probably rattle your cars insides apart. My Audi has solid mounts for the rear diff, gearbox, engine, and subframes...you'd think there was an earthquake localized under the thing.

COSTIGAN86

I'd say go with group Ns, you'll probably be much happier that way. Solid mounts will probably rattle your cars insides apart. My Audi has solid mounts for the rear diff, gearbox, engine, and subframes...you'd think there was an earthquake localized under the thing.
Yes, but how does it feel?

Ty Ty

Solid as a rock, nothing moves at all...in the driveline. Shakes enough that you have to ponder allowing women to sit in it...

Meyagi

I'm a hack
my accord has solid mounts, everything in the dash vibrates and makes noise as well as the door panels. you dont know annoying rattles untill you have solid mounts.

COSTIGAN86

A one piece solid mount would be easy, but I may be able to fabricate a 2-piece mount with a 1/2" or 1" piece of solid rubber sandwiched between and bolted through the plates. One piece bolts to the engine, the other to the framerails. The rubber goes between the plates and the plates are bolted together through the rubber. I don't know if this will actually work the way I want, but theoretically it should dampen vibration more than a solid mount while being very stiff. It may just completely suck, I don't know. I think I'm gonna try it, It will only cost me time
default_smile.png

stiXXX

I have group N motor & tranny mounts in the STI.

They give a more "solid" feel so far...

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
go with Gp N mounts, solid mounts are overkill. we run GpN mounts on the LDR rally car, with solid subframe bushings....it's all very loud on the road. NOT streetable.

if yur top mount is hitting under the hood, do a lil rubber mallet work on the underhood bracing.

EvilAsPie

After i put GpN engine and tranny mounts in to replace 15+ yr old mounts in 93 legacy SS i wont run any subaru anymore without them. 03 wrx loves em! throttle response and shifts are much quicker. noise and vibration is enough to know they are there without driving you crazy.

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
my accord has solid mounts, everything in the dash vibrates and makes noise as well as the door panels. you dont know annoying rattles untill you have solid mounts.
wow you have a rockhead.

default_rolleyes.gif

I can't drive a transverse with squishy mounts without ants in my pants.

resonance is a game I have been mastering in the subes.. if you feel you need tougher mounts... start banging on the belly on a lift, you'll find stuff to add some simple beamage. behind the front seats' rear seat mounts has bewildered me about subaru for over 25 years.. absolutely ridiculous.. and around the center carrier.. WTF were they thinking?

default_smile.png

Remember lubricity does not like the rumbles...even for a balanced boxer.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
I like them a lot. I did the trans mount in August. Motor mount Saturday. My whole drive train had a TON of slop in it. Now with those plus transmission cross member bushings, the car is more solid. The only thing left I have floating around is the rear diff and the exhaust. I've got the outrigger and diff bushings waiting to go in.

But definitely the group N stuff is worth it and doesn't increase NVH much at all.

GClark

My exhaust was clanging around when I put all the new stuff on. Installed just one stiff exhaust hanger and it stopped all sway. You can come get them for free anytime.

Latest posts

Back