sorry to bring this up...

XDIRTYX

...but im already thinking 45mm is way to tight for winter tires here in maine and was wondering if anyone has tried fitting 16'' or 15'' on a 08 or 09 wrx. im sure 16's will work but 15's with a 65mm sidewall would make me feel better about the potholes we get in the winter. any recommendations on brand and style, i dont need a performance type just a nasty winter. also are studs too much or does anyone run them as well.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
sounds like you have tire size confusion going on
default_biggrin.png

it's not a "45 mm sidewall" or "65 mm sidewall" Say the tire size is 245/45-17. the 45 refers to the aspect ratio of the tire -- its relationship to height vs width. most high performance tires have very low aspect ratios-- sidewalls that are only 45% or even 35% as high as they are wide. this gives nice tight handling, but you are correct--those low profile skins hate potholes and ruff Maine roads.

heh, some call tires like that "rim protectors" but they aren't even very good for that, witness the many "Fuc((*&^!! I busted a wheel on a pothole' threads here on MS.
default_tongue.png

I wonder if subaru isn't straying too far from their real-world and rough-roads background by speccing such low profile tires for the regular WRX.
default_additional_ranting.gif
I mean a new WRX or STI will 110% haul ass down back roads, but what good is that if the wheel/tire combo can't handle the impacts?

not sure if 16s will fit over the 09 WRX brakes, this early in the model's history that's probly a dealer tech question. if 16s did fit, then a 205/55-16 dedicated snow makes a good setup for cratered roads of Maine.

As for 15" wheels, no way 15s will fit, unless they are $$$$$$$ dedicated rally wheels. we run 195/65-15 winter tires on the rally car, with 15x7 rims that just barelybarelybarely clear suby 4-pot front brakes. these rims run about $300 apiece. the narrow tires really offer good bite on snow or ice tho and the tall sidewalls can handle some serious hits without (much) damage.

Nate

Founding Father
a member here was running 16 race tires for summer on his 08 wrx. so i know you can do that. but good luck fitting 15" wheels over the brakes. i just dont see it happening.

Evan

i believe pedro found a set of 15's on tirerack that fit over his 06 wrx 4 pots, but they may have been 17's.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
i believe pedro found a set of 15's on tirerack that fit over his 06 wrx 4 pots, but they may have been 17's.
yes, that's accurate info...however now that wheel (ASA JHX3 15" suby 4-pot fitment) has been cleverly discontinued
default_tongue.png

Speedline, Team Dymanics, and Enkei make super sturdy motorsports/rally 15s in 5x100 suby fitment that clear the 4-pots. however not sure if these are avail in the newer bolt pattern, is that 5 x 114.5 or whatever?

XDIRTYX

so 16 should be fine, a friend was trying to sell me 15x7 te37's super cheap for the rally look(not for winter set up, summer)
but he wasnt sure they would fit

topdeeni

srry for bringing it up? HAHAHAHA...not like we dont get about 8 months of winter anyways.

IMHO UR being a good squirrel and gathering UR nuts before winter...

man that sound wrong!

Apollyon12

I just might have a set of the 02-05 wrx rims for sale soon. I was going to run them with winter tires (205/55-16) but I may be picking up a set of leggy snowflakes with winter tires already on them. I'll be putting them in the for sale section as soon as I make a purchase.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
so 16 should be fine, a friend was trying to sell me 15x7 te37's super cheap for the rally look(not for winter set up, summer)
default_frown.gif
but he wasnt sure they would fit
how super cheap??

XDIRTYX

i didnt even ask, ive know ryan from NEAD for about 9 years, i think they were leftovers sitting around in the warehouse from mackin

Latest posts

Back