Speedometer Issues, etc.

Redline

Ok, so... to close my other two threads, and give you guys something to work with in return... here goes.

The speedometer cable will be herein referred to as "SC". It's a pain in the patootie to type out each time.

So, I got the SC out. When I tugged on it, it separated from the wrong spot. The pictures explain it all.

Speedo1.jpg

Speedo2.jpg

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3375.jpg

IMG_3381.jpg

IMG_3385.jpg

So, basically my synopsis of the problem is that 1a. got stripped as a result of the SC getting bound at the CLUSTER end of things. Or, it just got stripped from gradual wear - after all, the engine has 225k on it (and holding, fwiw... LOL!)

Anyhow, I'm posting a WTB for the lead cable that goes to the transmission.

Redline

Chris, my guess with your issue is that the threaded end (1a.) is failing. The reason why it is funky <20 is because it's not building up enough friction to drive the cable. This is just my opinion, and may or may not be accurate, however.

-Jeremy

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
COOL! thanks for pulling this all apart and taking pics. Without further investigation, I'd have to say that isn't my issue because <20 it reads GREATER than 20 (sometimes as high as 40) then drops down to 20 after 20... If it was slipping I'd assume less, but who knows. Weird things happen. I don't have nearly as many miles as you though, currently 99,890 or something VERY close to 100k.

I'll bookmark this thread though, so when it does finally die I can refer to it
default_smile.png

Oh, and BTW, the other end does not go into the gauge. The gauge is digital, you can pull out the whole gauge cluster without having to pull a cable, just like 5 plugs (ask me why I know
default_frown.gif
) There must be a device somewhere hidden in the depths of the car that converts the turning of the speedo cable into a pulse that is used by the ECU and gauge, and whatever else one wants to wire in.

And another BTW... If you go to a junk yard you can probably get that part pretty cheap

Redline

Oh, and BTW, the other end does not go into the gauge. The gauge is digital, you can pull out the whole gauge cluster without having to pull a cable, just like 5 plugs (ask me why I know
default_frown.gif
) There must be a device somewhere hidden in the depths of the car that converts the turning of the speedo cable into a pulse that is used by the ECU and gauge, and whatever else one wants to wire in.
Yeah, I've never been in there so I wouldn't know. Sounds like a fun time...

And another BTW... If you go to a junk yard you can probably get that part pretty cheap
Junkyards down here blow chunks. I'd be willing to pay a finders fee for one up in Maine though... Subarude?

-Jeremy

Redline

Update: Called my local dealership and they have this part in their warehouse - getting it tomorrow.

Part #37410AA061

Cost $33.37

Latest posts

Back