Stage 1 upgrade

Jds13wrx

I just got my Wrx and it has about 1300 miles now I need to know how much should I let it break it in before getting it flashed and do I have to do a down pipe at the same time or can I wait. If I do need a down pipe is there Anything else I may also need? Thanks for the help !

jojo69

Congrats on ur wrx! Most peeps wait after the first 1k to start modding, so u should be good. No downpipe needed if ur flashing a stg1 map. Did u check the numerous threads on nasioc on this subject?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Jds13wrx

No I haven't this is my first sube so def trying to find out what I can thanks for the info. Absolutely enjoying it so far just wouldn't mind waking it up a bit.

Visonik

If you're going to have someone tune it, I'd personally pull the trigger and upgrade the exhaust and do stage 2. If you're going to do it yourself, it doesn't really matter if you wait on the downpipe or not. It'd just save you some money to do it all at once.

jojo69

I would encourage you to read lots about stage1 vs stage2 etc and what power you can expect with what mods. I think it's also important to consider what you goals are for the car: handling, looks, torque etc...

This is my first wrx as well and I have decided to go stg1 with TorquePerformance map. I am very pleased with the overall tune and car performance and I've decide to enjoy AND learn how to handle the car as is for now. Tune wise, a protune done by a tuner is likely to always be the best option. but if you are staying with stg1, e-tune have been shown to do the job quite well for at affordable price.

I am sure that others will share their thoughts on the subject.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

Jds13wrx

Who can I take it to that would have the ability to flash my case I know a coupe Subaru techs but they have an older flash for stage1. Cobb down pipe or? If not a pro tune then cobb v3 or ?

jojo69

Who can I take it to that would have the ability to flash my case I know a coupe Subaru techs but they have an older flash for stage1. Cobb down pipe or? If not a pro tune then cobb v3 or ?
As fas as I know, there are really only 2 scenarios:

a) You either buy a cobb AP (v2 or v3) and just flash cobb's maps and enjoy. Or you ask TorquePerformance (or any other etuners) for a map that you can then download to your AP and flash and enjoy.

OR (if you do not buy a AP, save that cash)

default_cool.png
buy a DP and whatever else you think you want to maximize flow, you go see a tuner, and get a opensource protune and enjoy. They will tweak the car for best performance, but you will need to go back each time you need something done or changed etc... 

the AP allows you a convenience (unless you live right next door to a tuner of course) that allows you to do changes and monitor your car's system on the fly. It doesn't matter what version of AP you get, some have more features than others and yeah, the 3rd version is nice and implements nice upgrades over the v2 but they both work just fine. But an AP will never replace a shop tune.

I am not sure what you are asking about the "cobb downpipe". Yes the minimum you need to go stg2 is a catless DP. 

In terms of tuner shops in the area, I here Brentuning, Granitestatedyno are good places to start unless you wanna drive all the way to boston etc where you will have a bit more options. ... hope that answers some Q's, but continue to read the FAQ's on nasioc!! 

Last edited by a moderator:

Fluffy282

Bren is in mass ;-)

Kinetic and granite state are both in nh. My recommendation is buy a Cobb access port v3 before you touch anything. This will allow you to monitor vitals as well as offer you ots (off the shelf) maps with defined "stages" (it will tell you what upgrades qualify for what map)

Having an access port tuner will will allow you to flash a base map for immediate gain and also give a professional tuner a platform from which to tune your car in the future if you choose to go that route.

Congrats and enjoy! There are a million pages on nasioc about "what to upgrade first". But feel free to ask away here :)

Latest posts

Back