Stage 2 accessport or opensource on 2.0L?

Zach

I'm at the point with my car now that I would like to go stage 2. I have been doing some research for quite some time now and have seen pros and cons for both the AP and OS. I will be going catless with the TBE( will be keeping stock DP for state inspections, this is where the AP have an advantage I think.) and installing a catless UP also. The car is a daily driver so I need the tune to be on the safer side. As far as the opensource tune I was going to get the reflash done by M&A Auto if I go that route. I do have higher power goals but I'm nowhere close to doing that yet. Really all I'm looking for for stage 2 is something that can be driven day to day from work and home and not blowup when my foot gets heavy. If I left out some info that's going to help out just let me know.

Ray

The Northernah'
I run stage 2 93 with my 03 and its a perfect compromise IMHO. It has plenty of power to be fun and I run it 96 miles a day to work and back with no problems. The car has been stage 2 since ~100k and its at 194K now. I did recently have to put in a new shortblock at 188K, but that wasnt the tune, that was typical 2.0l problems
default_additional_unamused.gif
hope this helps!

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
there's a few places in bangor where i get 93 octane. It is available, just very scarce. I use an accessport and it is definitely worth it's value. Very versatile, and you can get protuned with it as well. if you need to go back to stock, switch the map to stock with the parts, and if you switch back, put the parts back on and switch back to the protuned map

Ray

The Northernah'
The White Elephant, its a small store in Strong I go by on my way to work

BG @ BrenTuning

Custom Tuning ECUs
Similar tuning platforms but the key is the person behind the tune. Go with either and have someone correctly map it for your fuel/modifications. A blanket basemap is never safe on a higher mileage car.

[email protected]

Meyagi

I'm a hack
i like the AP because it gives you the option to log, monitor, and scan engine codes. also you can download access tuner race, which allows you or someone who knows tuning to edit the map and fine tune it to your car.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
i like the AP because it gives you the option to log, monitor, and scan engine codes. also you can download access tuner race, which allows you or someone who knows tuning to edit the map and fine tune it to your car.

^^^+1^^^ that and Cobb has excellent customer support, so if you run into problems with the AP, you know that it will be resolved

i'm not saying that you can't get a protune as well as the AP

flat4awd

Owl's Auto JDM
I'm getting protuned this Spring, I considered just an AP, but I don't trust it. I want my car professionally mapped by a shop, plus I'm paranoid.

roadtrip1098

you cant save opensource maps, but you can save your protune map as long as its done with the cobb software by a cobb tuner
True, the maps are not compatible, but if you download romraider and Access Port Race Tuner, you can open the maps up side by side in their respective programs and manually change the tables on the AP map to match you OS map.

IMHO I have had the accessport with racetuner software, it is a great tool. I currently am running Open Source though because I want to be able to use one device to tune multiple vehicles. OS setup is less than $200 plus a laptop to run it. OS does not have Launch Control of Flat Foot Shifting built in, but some tech savy guys have gotten it to work. OS does not support live tuning (yet). 

The AP is what $500-$600? Plus the AP can only be used on one vehicle, and it locks the ecu so you can't switch back to an OS map without first unmarrying the AccessPort (This is actually a huge PITA when buying a used Subaru that has been tuned with an AP but didn't have the AP included). AccessPort does give you Launch Control and Flat Foot Shifting which are great, as well as the ability to live tune your map without reflashing.

From my perspective, the AP is a great beginners tool with flexibility to do all the professional level stuff as well. The OS setup (Tactrix) takes a little more knowledge before you would feel 100% confident about plugging into your car. Open Source I feel stays more up to date, but the information can be difficult to locate. AP info is very well organized. In the end you should ask yourself the following:

Am I comfortable with using computers, and adjusting my tune?

Do I have the willpower to search through forums to find the right answer?

Do I plan on having more than one Subaru?

Do I want to be able to tune friends Subarus?

If you answer yes to all those, pick up tactrix, if you answer no to any of them, get an AP.

Latest posts

Back