stage II clutch

Mighty Subie

I have an exedy stage 1 in my car, 230 WHP... 155K on the car and 0, i repeat ZERO slippage ever. it is a little stiff, but takes up off the floor really smoothly. I love it.

I'm not saying that you SHOULD get one, but keep it in mind.

R

rallyXcramps

subaru likes to match their flywheels and clutches, but I never had any problems when I did the stage zero in my OBS, at your mileage your flywheel should be good.

EvilAsPie

Mike car does have a hydraulic clutch. I checked myself after i drove it cause it is so very very hard. My OBS is cable w/stock clutch and it's firm (more firm then other cars with hydraulic, ie toyota, mazda, nissan, etc). The wifes RS is hydraulic doesn't feel stock, it's pretty hard but very drivable w/a little practice, and it engages pretty close to the top so shifting is very fast and easy. Mike's clutch is supper supper hard, it's a work out every time you push it in, and in engages very close to the floor, making fast shifting pretty hard. It just doesn't seam right to me. Even if it were a 450whp car built for racing it feels like it would be very hard to drive that clutch with precision. Is that really the way the stage II or any clutch is supposed to be?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
e

Mike car does have a hydraulic clutch. I checked myself after i drove it cause it is so very very hard. My OBS is cable w/stock clutch and it's firm (more firm then other cars with hydraulic, ie toyota, mazda, nissan, etc). The wifes RS is hydraulic doesn't feel stock, it's pretty hard but very drivable w/a little practice, and it engages pretty close to the top so shifting is very fast and easy. Mike's clutch is supper supper hard, it's a work out every time you push it in, and in engages very close to the floor, making fast shifting pretty hard. It just doesn't seam right to me. Even if it were a 450whp car built for racing it feels like it would be very hard to drive that clutch with precision. Is that really the way the stage II or any clutch is supposed to be?
Ever driven a 70's Porsche?

Rightseat

downside of the hyd clutch is that there's basically zero adjustment once it's all installed.

so....

try a couple dozen launches at 5000 rpm on tarmac going uphill...that oughta loosen the dang thing up!

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
I bet whoever installed the clutch had the flywheel turned. That would cause early the release problem you have.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Try bleeding the clutch line. If you have old fluid or some air bubbles you would be releasing near the floor. it is possible that it might help with the hard pedal as well.

akinaspeedstar

how'd you know about my early release problem!! >
default_smile.png

actully the more i drive it im getting more used to it and it does seem to release a little lower then normal but its not right off the floor. it's just really the pedel effort that's killing me.

R

rallyXcramps

The throw and release is toooo rugged.

Still a very well kept car. Lots of great goodies.

akinaspeedstar

i found this http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1176321

but it really doesn't look like its in too good of condition.

Runnah how many miles are on yours?

this is the first thing that im gonna change when i sell the saab. if i was just gonna race the car all the time it would be fine, but if i got stuck in a trafic jam i'd be toast as would the clutch.

i might try and change it out in my dads garage. it can't be any harder to get out then a saab transmission. once i find a stock clutch that is i don't really want to buy a whole new assembly if i can get away with it.

jmailhot

where are you located? I'm in westbrook, swimg by and drive my car to see what stock feels like (2000 RS coupe) It is a 5 month old OEm clutch. I have a used OEM pressure plate, but the disc is crap. You could have it for free and I would help do the job for beer. Use your stage two disc and maybe that will have a better feel. Someone corretc me if I'm wrong, is it his disc or pressure plate that causes a stiff pedal?

I have some recent experience with clutches and trannies. Lemme know

akinaspeedstar

yeah i jumped in inski's last thursday and theres a pretty good difrence. shorty might have a line on one for me. but im still working out if it's worth all the time money and effort to fix something that's not broken
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back