stalling after cold air intake install - 04 FXT

bear154

i installed a cold air intake on my 04 FXT yesterday.  i've done it a dozen times before, yet i still follow directions....anyhow...when i have the MAF plugged in it will not start.  when i unplug it, it runs fine except the cruise light flashes and the CEL is on.  if i put the stock box back in it runs fine.  what can i do to get the MAF to register the new intake?

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Did you unhook the battery for a while? After that, hook it back up, restart the car and let it sit and idle for about ten minutes. Then drive easy for about ten minutes, then drive "normally". That should allow the ECU to learnt he changes.

boxerboost

This is going to sound silly, but you amde sure you weren't accidentally putting the MAF on backwards, right? (if the intake would even accept it that way) 
I had a car once, that it just seemed like it should have gone on backwards, so I always had to double check. Also, it's seating tight and you didn't accidentally strip the mount, right? Air seeping in can screw with ya.

Just stating the obvious bits since sometimes everyone overlooks em.

bear154

This is going to sound silly, but you amde sure you weren't accidentally putting the MAF on backwards, right? (if the intake would even accept it that way) 

I had a car once, that it just seemed like it should have gone on backwards, so I always had to double check. Also, it's seating tight and you didn't accidentally strip the mount, right? Air seeping in can screw with ya.

Just stating the obvious bits since sometimes everyone overlooks em.
its not silly..lol  i did double check.  it is mounted in the same way it would be in the stock tube.  im hoping i dont need to falsh the ECU or something like that...

Stein

Stein
its not silly..lol  i did double check.  it is mounted in the same way it would be in the stock tube.  im hoping i dont need to falsh the ECU or something like that...
That would be a tune, and generally it'll help whenever you change something that the engine is expecting to be different.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
A tune would definitely be able to solve the issue, but I don't it should be necessary. I had 2 different intakes on my FXT with no issues at all, and I know Subarude did as well.

bear154

Did you unhook the battery for a while? After that, hook it back up, restart the car and let it sit and idle for about ten minutes. Then drive easy for about ten minutes, then drive "normally". That should allow the ECU to learnt he changes.
i did unhook the battery before installing and hooked it back up afterward.  i also had a friend tell me to let the key sit at "on" for a certain amount of time.  neither seemed to work.  i am driving it today with the MAF unplugged, i just dont want to f'up the turbo or anything else...

A tune would definitely be able to solve the issue, but I don't it should be necessary. I had 2 different intakes on my FXT with no issues at all, and I know Subarude did as well.
hmmm yea im baffled.  i figured it would be fine.  any idea who/where/how much i can get it tuned around the portland/gray area?

bear154 said:
i did unhook the battery before installing and hooked it back up afterward.  i also had a friend tell me to let the key sit at "on" for a certain amount of time.  neither seemed to work.  i am driving it today with the MAF unplugged, i just dont want to f'up the turbo or anything else...

hmmm yea im baffled.  i figured it would be fine.  any idea who/where/how much i can get it tuned around the portland/gray area?
ive got it here at work with me today, i pulled it inside the shop and am letting it sit with the battery unhooked for a good part of the day.  see what happens...

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
do you have pictures of the install? the car should still turn over if it the maf is plugged in. doesn't make any sense....are the prongs on the maf good? tried putting the stock intake on, hooking it up to see if it still works?

better to put the stocker back on if it works because your car will run safe that way.

bear154

do you have pictures of the install? the car should still turn over if it the maf is plugged in. doesn't make any sense....are the prongs on the maf good? tried putting the stock intake on, hooking it up to see if it still works?

better to put the stocker back on if it works because your car will run safe that way.
it turns over then stalls out.  i did put the stock box back in to see if there was a conncetion issue or anything with the MAF, it fired right up and ran normal.  im at work so i dont have access to loading photos.  i will when i get home.

flat4awd

Owl's Auto JDM
I recommend doing what Bratman said. I don't know about your ecu, but my car had a similar problem when I cleaned my SPT intake. I unplugged the MAF and that was enough to trip the ecu.

bear154

I GOT IT TO WORK!!!!  thank you giys for all your insight!!  happy happy joy joy.  i took it all apart and did it again. i think the filter just wasn't seating properly so i adjusted the tube and the fittings.  plugged the MAF in and it fired right up, let it run for 10 mins no issues.  i will drive normal the first half of the ride home. 

THANKS AGAIN!!!  i will be seeking more advice with doing more mods.  this is my first turbo in a long time. i am selling my 97 leg gt.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
I GOT IT TO WORK!!!!  thank you giys for all your insight!!  happy happy joy joy.  i took it all apart and did it again. i think the filter just wasn't seating properly so i adjusted the tube and the fittings.  plugged the MAF in and it fired right up, let it run for 10 mins no issues.  i will drive normal the first half of the ride home. 

THANKS AGAIN!!!  i will be seeking more advice with doing more mods.  this is my first turbo in a long time. i am selling my 97 leg gt.

Perfect!!!

Meyagi

I'm a hack
that "jdm" intake kit is probably from ebay which means the piping diameter is not the same as the factory piping. unless you get the car tuned to that intake on a dyno the fueling calculations will be incorrect and can lead to lean conditions, detonation and engine failure. run the stock airbox with a good filter or spend the 500 and get it tuned.

Latest posts

Back