Starting my upgrade collection...

hesitantOBS

I found some stuff in Worcester, MA (not too far for me) that I'll be picking up this weekend.

2000 RS Front Bumper - BRANDY NEW! Comes with beam

2000 RS Hood w/o hardware - BRANDY NEW!

2002 WRX Rear Sway w/mounts & bushings

KYB rear GR2's w/5k on them

Still looking for some fronts, I may just go on Ebay for those.

Looking for some WRX springs (or STI's) to load into these struts. Need to find a good bushing set too. Once I've got the front struts, bushing set and springs, I'll do my suspension start-finish! ;D

Oh, I've got a set of WRX rims & tires too. The tires are stock WRX size, so they are a little larger than what I need. No rubbing yet, but they might if the car drops ride height...

gearsoup

They are less than $100. You shouldn't have any rubbing issues. I have wrx wheels and tires, and I'm running on Prodrive springs. No issues yet!

Also, get a Kartboy short shifter. They make the whole driving experience better.....

Tony Q

If your gonna grab a Kartboy Shift lever, also get the bushing. Makes it a much more solid throw from gear to gear! I think the whole kit is like $130ish. Well worth every penny!!!! I have them both!

hesitantOBS

Alright, so:

Kartboy Endlinks

Kartboy Short Shifter & Bushing

Does Kartboy also make a complete bushing set that Mr. Nigel Prodrive was talking about? I'd like to stiffen up my car, and also get it so that it doesn't sound like it's falling apart... LOL.

Also, my shifter doesn't auto-return to center from 1st/2nd gear. I think the spring that pulls it back to center is busted. Any idea where to pick that up, since I'll be in there changing shit anyhow?

gearsoup

Also, my shifter doesn't auto-return to center from 1st/2nd gear. I think the spring that pulls it back to center is busted. Any idea where to pick that up, since I'll be in there changing shit anyhow?
what? ???

head assplode!

EvilAsPie

what? ???

head assplode!
When the shifter is not in gear it doesn't move to the middle of the H.

Is that a spring thing, or just bushings that keep in like that?

Sounds like good setup so far.

Def do the kartboy stuff. Unfortunately they do not make a hole bushing set.

As far as springs go, I think you would be happier with STi springs. But i don't think take offs would fit. I could be wrong. You could probably find some JDM STi springs that are made for GCs. I see them around on NASIOC and RS25.

hesitantOBS

i've got a spare set of rear coils coming with the GR2's, so I'll measure them. does anyone have a set of springs laying around off a '02 or newer body? i need the measurement of the base, where it will rest on the perch.,

EvilAsPie

Bushings aren't cheap:

http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=5585&

http://www.rallispec.com/prod_chart_stibush2.htm

Prodrive springs mentioned earlier are not a bad setup for DD. I hear they are actually a smoother ride then STi springs, but a little lower then WRX springs(w/out wrx struts of course).

pics of obs with prodrives:

425.07_01_1024.jpg

425.07_02_1024.jpg

Rightseat

STI springs will "fit" but they aren't ideal. They are a lot stiffer than stock OBS, so yyou'll need stiffer dampers (shocks) and the GR-2s aren't that much stiffer than stock. If you go with GR-2s, stick with the stock springs. add good sways and you'll nitce a BIG diffrence. You'll keep a reasonalbe ride on the street whil picking up some nice gain in response. Also, rear STI springs are designed to fit on strits with slightly angled spring perches, and if you put them on GR-2s spec'ed for your car, the springs will have uneven preload which will tend to make them a bit weird.

You should not have a bit of trouble with the WRX wheels/tires rubbing unless you go to coilovers and do a lot of lowering.

You don't necessarily have to go for the whole kaboodle triple $$$ poly bushing setup...just replacing tired stock ones with new stock ones will make a real improvement in squeeks creeks and general clunking. just because a part is "stock" doesn't mean it sucks.

hesitantOBS

good to know. should i find some OBS springs (real ones) and put those on, or am i wasting time?

i don't intend on putting more money into the bushings than it would cost for KYB's... LOL

any specific bushings i should _really_ consider replacing, or should i just get a whole set of stock bushings and go to town?

while i'm under there, replacing the struts, rsb and such, i'd like to tackle everything i can afford at the same time. no sense in doing it twice.

hesitantOBS

STI springs will "fit" but they aren't ideal.
I have it on good authority that Nigel Prodrive knows his stuff. I'm going to trust what he said and say no to the STI springs for now. Thanks though!

akinaspeedstar

why are you going WRX springs? there made for a heavier car. get springs for your gen.

just pick up some used GC RS springs. i've seen them go on RS25 for $50 or less. there just take offs and no one wants them. that will be much better then WRX springs or making something else work.

past that your on the right track.

hesitantOBS

Alright, so today I picked up:

RS Hood

2000 RS bumper Cover

Bumper Beam

2002 WRX rear sway w/bushings & endlinks

Still waiting on a lead for some front GR2's & prodrive springs (or another good package).

Latest posts

Back