STI swap into 2001 rs

Dan

So I've done a lot of asking for peoples opinions on here and I thought I had my mind set on keeping the rs stock and getting a sti soon... buttttttt... I don't want to take out a loan right now.. nor can I because of lack of credit and no co signer.. to much hastle. That being said... I'm just going to save up and do a sti swap into the rs
default_smile.png
I know Its quite the costly job.. but my dad owns his own auto business and a certified auto tech.. So swaping an engine won't be that hard.. I just want to know WHAT I have to save up for.. where should I look to get a sti engine.. ect. I figured it's going to be around 5-8 grand im guesing? correct me if im wrong. Do I need the drive train, rear diff.? Please fill me in with WHAT I'm going to need and how much this is going to be so I can start saving as much as possible. thanks everyone.

Matt

you need everything......basically a wrecked sti....be prepared to spend a lot of money....I mean a lot....and then someone to merge the wiring harness from and sti into an rs....prob cost 500-750 for a company to do it......start saving you're pennies now

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
budget for:

engine

wiring harness

clutch DONKEY'y complete MC< slave, etc etc

front crossmember

full exhaust -- headers to tailpipe

PS lines

pedal cluster

trans 6 spd w/shifter DONKEY'y

2 front axles (may need front knuckles, I'm not sure)

prop shaft & bearings

rear diff R180

2 rear axles

rear knuckles (RS knucks no worky w/STI r axles)

unless you start with 04 STI donor car, you will also need a full set of 5x114 STI wheels n tires

and after all these upgrades, you'll have waaay more "GO" than "WHOA!!" so you really ought to do brakes too, and then the RS struts aren't' up to the job...and well, I hope you get the drift OK?

you could just use the 5-spd from RS, but gearing will be very low and the stock box really isn't up to withstanding 300hp for very long.

unless you are determined to have a true custom built swapped GC, it's way easier and def cheaper to just trade the Rs toward an STI. and beware---just cuz you have $15k dumped into an RSTI, this does not mean the car is worth $15 for resale. swapped GCs sell for $6-9k, rarely more.

in short, what you really need is a wrecked sti complete. even then, a full sti swap into GC chassis is a BIG undertaking. lots of ppl swap over the STI interior as well, seats & dash, etc

Last edited by a moderator:

sooch

Type-RA
budget for:

engine

wiring harness

clutch DONKEY'y complete MC< slave, etc etc

front crossmember

full exhaust -- headers to tailpipe

PS lines

pedal cluster

trans 6 spd w/shifter DONKEY'y

2 front axles (may need front knuckles, I'm not sure)

prop shaft & bearings

rear diff R180

2 rear axles

rear knuckles (RS knucks no worky w/STI r axles)

unless you start with 04 STI donor car, you will also need a full set of 5x114 STI wheels n tires

and after all these upgrades, you'll have waaay more "GO" than "WHOA!!" so you really ought to do brakes too, and then the RS struts aren't' up to the job...and well, I hope you get the drift OK?

you could just use the 5-spd from RS, but gearing will be very low and the stock box really isn't up to withstanding 300hp for very long.

unless you are determined to have a true custom built swapped GC, it's way easier and def cheaper to just trade the Rs toward an STI. and beware---just cuz you have $15k dumped into an RSTI, this does not mean the car is worth $15 for resale. swapped GCs sell for $6-9k, rarely more.

in short, what you really need is a wrecked sti complete. even then, a full sti swap into GC chassis is a BIG undertaking. lots of ppl swap over the STI interior as well, seats & dash, etc
im not seeing brakes there and a set of brembos hubs and stuff is another 1-2k alone...

Would you compromise with a wrx swap? its not as fast, but for a younger kid with little income its more plausible... Pretty much consider saving for an entire summer or 2. at least that's my plan
default_wink.png

Matt

prob buy a wrecked wrx for 3-4 grand plus the swap money and you're still looking at 5-7 grand....

Dan

Well by the looks of it... im looking at 10k. Thank you guys for the help.. not sure if that's what I should really be saving up for but ive always wanted a rsti and for it to be built by me also got me very exited but I didnt think I was looking at that much. but if im gonna do it I want it done RIGHT. I think im just an impatient 19 year old kid and what I really should do is just start saving now and in a year see where Im at and what I really want to do.. maybe get a cheap wrx and fix it up... or work on getting an STI. So im just gonna keep my rs reliable and do some little mods to er of course untill fall next year and then I'll be looking to get into a wrx or sti. Can anyone help me on exhaust though? I researched headers for my rs into ebay and they looked legit but there only $109 compared to borlas which are almost 500.. so I didnt know if they were so cheap it wouldnt be worth it.. and from the cat back what should I look into? I had someone reccomend me making my own catless. Or what brands should I look into? I just want the rs to have some little hp gain off from it and I want that amazing boxer engine rumble
default_smile.png
I've seen some rs's that they made sound like a shitty honda civic with a can... and I dont want that... so please help me out! thanks

sooch

Type-RA
Exhaust and suspension is the right thing for your rs as of now.. Just like you said save up and then re assess things! Honestly its all about time and money. "You have to think how the hell am I going to get around to work with a car on a lift and no engine?" You always need a budget, but you are going to need to plan for more.. Car isn't gunna run have done lol.

As for exhaust I would get some uel headers (unequal length) on ebay. Yea they are ebay brand, but tubing is tubing I guess. Then it all depends on what you want for loud. I have an STi catback on (mikey just threw it on today and it sounds perfect.) Not obnoxiously loud, but enough to hear the rumble. And no it doesn't sound like some "civic with a can".. Look into some suspension mods aswell, rear sway bars are probably your best bang for buck purchase for handling on the rs..

Well by the looks of it... im looking at 10k. Thank you guys for the help.. not sure if that's what I should really be saving up for but ive always wanted a rsti and for it to be built by me also got me very exited but I didnt think I was looking at that much. but if im gonna do it I want it done RIGHT. I think im just an impatient 19 year old kid and what I really should do is just start saving now and in a year see where Im at and what I really want to do.. maybe get a cheap wrx and fix it up... or work on getting an STI. So im just gonna keep my rs reliable and do some little mods to er of course untill fall next year and then I'll be looking to get into a wrx or sti. Can anyone help me on exhaust though? I researched headers for my rs into ebay and they looked legit but there only $109 compared to borlas which are almost 500.. so I didnt know if they were so cheap it wouldnt be worth it.. and from the cat back what should I look into? I had someone reccomend me making my own catless. Or what brands should I look into? I just want the rs to have some little hp gain off from it and I want that amazing boxer engine rumble
default_smile.png
I've seen some rs's that they made sound like a shitty honda civic with a can... and I dont want that... so please help me out! thanks

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Buy the car you want the first time.

^this

subaru factory engineers know WAY more about putting together a car that is guaranteed to start every morning and getting you where you want to go

main reason for doing a swap is the adventure of the project, and at least for a while the wondering if the car's gonna work right. eventually it can be done, but it's a long road.

why not buy a used WRX/STI with the money from selling the RS plus the 8-10K you'd spend anyway.

after a while, you can start personalizing the WRX

since money seems to be a definite issue tho, why not just enjoy the RS? it's def not that slow, gets great mileage, don't need premium fuel, they look great, and handles like few other cars on the road--esp Maine ones (dirt snow ice, rough tarmac etc)

anybody who sez "RSes are nice but sooo slow" ain't been for a backroads ride with Mr Nigel and his faithful sidekick Snowball...
default_additional_ponder.gif

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
ebay stainless headers, a good CAI and a take-off STI exhaust will completely transform a stock RS without turning your daily driver into a "daily tuner."

this combo don't break the bank, either.
default_cool.png

Dan

Thanks guys!! appreciate the input... when I first got the car I was just so exited to be in a subaru finally... but the wanting of a turbo just makes me to impatient... so I'm just gonna put a set of headers on it.. full exhaust, a good CAI and do some suspension work
default_smile.png
and enjoy the rs. It's a rare model.. I don't see many at all but Im sure there out there. keep saving and by this time next year well see where I'm at. with all this being said..I want to get it tinted to... but I can't find any places that won't charge me 300 to tint the rs... anyone know anyone/anywhere?

05scoobyrs

I'm right with you on this... I am trying to save up for either a wrx or sti swap and was wondering what I needed. Very helpful thread, or at least for me. Jun will tint all of your windows for like $150 I think. he did my back window for $60.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
I'm right with you on this... I am trying to save up for either a wrx or sti swap and was wondering what I needed. Very helpful thread, or at least for me. Jun will tint all of your windows for like $150 I think. he did my back window for $60.

Jun is also a vendor for this site. His phone number or email should be in his vendor thread.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Jun is also a vendor for this site. His phone number or email should be in his vendor thread.
Yeah if he answers or replies is another question. And it doesn't appear that he is a vendor anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back