STi swap

Acky

Long story short heavily looking into running an sti motor, besides an engine\ecu, what other parts would I be looking at getting?

Acky

is your ej20 dying?
Yeah, it ran fine sunday did a 240mile trip and monday was fine on my way to work, then got the oil changed tuesday ran fine before the change, and started sounding like the internals were eating itself within 5miles of the change, it has oil and isn't leaking so im not to sure, so its sitting at a shop. Thinking about throwing in either a sti longblock or 2.5hybrid, depending on how messed up the top end is. Second ej20, I must be the Dan of engines haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan

The Built Motor section over on NASIOC has a lot of info on this. I recommend checking it out.

The "Hybrid" involves the STI shortblock while still using your EJ20 heads. But it's not as easy as just bolting the heads on and calling it a day. The heads will likely need to be checked, serviced, and also I highly recommended getting the CC machined to match the 2.5 bore. Obviously, if you want to do a full STI swap, you would need to swap over all the electronics, etc. etc.

You will need at least stock STI injectors, STI oil pump, and upgraded fuel pump. Other stuff you SHOULD swap out while you're in there include water pump, thermostat, timing belt, STI oil pan, baffle, pickup. You also should be running at least a VF series turbo as well. The stock TD04 is too restrictive for the 2.5.

In a nut shell, it's not cheap. Like I said check the stickies in the NASIOC Built Motor section. It also comes down to your power goals...

Last edited by a moderator:

Meyagi

I'm a hack
you can use avcs heads from a 2.5 forester or legacy turbo, or a sti and just leave the avcs unhooked and get tuned on the factory ecu. ive done 2 cars that way so far with really good results

Acky

I think im just going to go with a straight sti swap due to moving in a month and needing my car, Mikey what would that run me for an install?

Latest posts

Back