Stock 98 OBS

darkknight

I recently purchased a 1998 OBS that is boooone stock.
default_smile.png
I was hoping to get some suggestions of where to start with add-ons. I don't have any experience with a car like this really. So I wanted to hear what other people have done and go from there. Thanks!

inski

It all depends on your budget, the skys the limit if you are loaded. I've had a few OBSs in my day so I'll lay it out the cheap way (I'm a mechanic=no money) and I know you've got a WRX you'd rather sink a ton of money into.

-Theres not much you can do to the engine aside from going bigger to a 2.5L, K&N, and fix the oil leaks.

-Your exhaust is probably getting soft so look for an eBay exhaust for Imprezas. Or, use a STi or WRX take off exhaust.

-20mm rear sway bar, and rear sway bar mount that have the newer style stiffener

-suspension, go up like Ray's, or go down. There are still lowering springs available. KYB struts available. I just replace the struts and stay stock height.

-rally armor mud flaps, or make your own.

-Primitive skid plate, or make your own.

-tint

-off road lights

-Some decent alloys, the WRX/RS 16s are cheap, tough, and everywhere.

-WRX/RS 2-pot brakes, WOW, way better brakes!

-the 02-07 WRX 6 disc stereo, inexpensive (40-60 usually) and way better than the stock OBS radios. Bolts right in, same connector also.

-Kartboy short shifter and bushings, Mmmm 20hp right there!

-TIRES, the single most important add-on, TIRES. Snow tires for winter are a MUST. You are losing 75% of that car's potential if you don't have snow tires.

-Driver training. Go to Team Oneil for the one day WInter Driving course. Sharpen the skillz. Tightens the loose nut behind the wheel.

There, that will ruin your retirement plan. Happy motoring!

darkknight

Thanks for the input, that's exactly what I was looking for! And actually the WRX and I parted ways so my focus is on the OBS. I am on a budget but I do want to make some stuff happen with it. I've got some good snows kicking around, but I would like to start with exhaust and the suspension. Any suggestions on a brand of rear sway? I know little to nothing about suspension.

inski

Cool! All the sways do a decent job. The Whitelines seem to lose their paint and get rusty quicker than the others but they still work well. Perrin, Hatchkis, SPT, STI, Cusco, Cobb. All pretty nice twisty bars.

Latest posts

Back