subaru using cheap paint?

Smiththers

my car with 6k miles on it has nasty paint chips already and even a rust spot on the right rear fender. this just doesn't seem right, 182k miles on my geo and there is no rust or chipped paint on the fenders... am i to assume that this is and has been a problem? i would gladly have dumped 26 grand into another car if it wasnt goin to do this so soon.... im pretty pissed right now.

Kristof

Banned
yeah its pretty well knwn subaru paint dosent last. one of the main reasons i was told is because they actually use a thinner layer of paint wich helps reduce oeverall weight of the car a nd increase performance

Ryan

Subaru paint has always been known to be crappy. It's very thin paint. Best thing you can do is complain to your dealership and see where it takes you.

krazykarpenter

you running mudlfaps on you car? Where the paint is thin already stopping what ever you can before it sandblasts your car is worth it.

Keep is clean and wax 2-3 times a year and you shouldn't have to worry to much.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Subaru paint has always sucked. The new gen cars are even worse because of the new eco-friendly paint they must use. I have seen new cars sitting on lots with orange peal. Gotta save those baby seals guys

Nate

Founding Father
Not much they will do about it. But good luck.

Unfortunately Subaru as a company has never really been known for amazing paint jobs in the first place. And the newer rounds of cars are no exception. In fact not only is Kristof right about them using less paint, but they have now for enviromental reasons swapped to water based paints which are even harder to maintain. Keep in mind that every little thing they can drop off the car for weight the better. They have swapped to plastic parts from metal, thinner body panels, less paint. All added up it equates to better fuel economy (not performance). In a car market that's screaming for car that get more and more MPG, Subaru is at a disadvantage with MPG robbing AWD. So dropping all the weight then can helps out.

Water based paint = good for the enviroment

Water based paint = bad for the customer

Sorry, I have rock chips too. Try not tailgating, and get some good wax built up on the car. It helps. I think my next car I will just budget it in that it will be going straight for the body shop for more clearcoat on the sideskirts, hood, front bumper, and front fenders.

Smiththers

the car gets washed once a week and it has been waxed within the last 2 months. one of the chipped spots just shouldnt be there no matter what though.

edit: so there are things a body shop can do to prevent more of this crap from happening?

Nate

Founding Father
Like I said, Ive had this go around with EG, (and those guys will try to help you out no matter what) and I was basically told Subaru will not do much about this. And they definitely wont paint the car for you.

I have a couple chips that Im gonna need to get covered with some touch-up paint. Ive just come to the conclusion that its just the way its gonna be.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
so im basically gonna have to shell out a **** load of money to have the car "professionally" painted?
You don't have to have it professionally painted.

4NNsl.jpg

default_smile.png

In all seriousness though, Nates right, SoA will probably say welp that sucks, but it's worth a shot I guess. You can also get touch up paint/pens from the dealerships.

Smiththers

im never going to be content with just touch up paint. this shouldnt happen at all with the way i drive and take care of this car.

Nate

Founding Father
Yah I hear you. Im pretty picky about my car too.... But such is life.

While we are talking about how unfair life is:

Kids should never have to battle cancer.

A parent should never have to bury a child.

Pets never live long enough.

Toll booths suck.

Gas prices are outrageous.

Im 28 and getting a TON of grey hair.

Kristof

Banned
Yah I hear you. Im pretty picky about my car too.... But such is life.
While we are talking about how unfair life is:

Kids should never have to battle cancer.

A parent should never have to bury a child.

Pets never live long enough.

Toll booths suck.

Gas prices are outrageous.

Im 28 and getting a TON of grey hair.
but none of wich were purchased in the hopes of somethign different

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
jeez you guys it's a car, not a work of art.

one issue with Subaru paint is that the undercoat shows thru a lighter shade in many of their colors. a few miles on dirt raods, and the car looks like it's beeen strafed by an A-10 Warthog. if you think the silver is bad, check out what happens with WRB after some brisk miles on gravel roads.

the sheet metal is galvanized, your rust worries are highly inflated.

maybe the 'rust' you are seeing is flecks from the metallic brake pads, this is also a known Subaru issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smiththers

im still going to take it to the dealer. i didnt work for 7 years building up my credit to buy a car and have this happen. i never seen hondas with chipping paint like this and that is what i almost got too... damn

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
as common as taking out the trash, a chip can form on any car.

the sube is a well known unibody with AWD. The old steel used to be very very responsive in the spirng like category of painting..very difficult,especially new england, and me in northern maine. the thermals literally shrunk/expand the car. todays subes and rusting, you may want to find spots that need weld in structure, just like the old, I find behind and forward of rear wheel wells, aft rocker beams and the front end bar they make for forestors (goes behind th efender) is a good place to start with keeping a body nice.

and the rules have been the same for every successful car:

primer (I chose crystalline silica bsed, very thick, no thinner) to aid in shrinking to expansion, and expanding to steel shrinkage...it owns the active steel if done right.

base coat metallic- not exactly expensive.

two part urethane, do NOT fall for acrylic, or all in one cans, it is a water based sick joke, epa loves it.

no reason to get uptight. the sube demands a lot and always has... from a unibody, all connected, no forgiveness... it is an act of difficult precision.

Smiththers

well when my 13 year old car doesn't have the problems that this does, and an msrp of less than half, something needs to be done.

Latest posts

Back