Swapping my Forester's seized engine

SurlyOBS

So I found an engine online to replace my 2000 Forester's seized engine. It's a phase II SOHC 2.5L from a 2001 Outback that was rolled. It has 71K miles on it and I'm wondering if I should have someone do the head gaskets and timing belt before I have someone put it into the car? I'm pretty sure that this engine will bolt right in, but if I'm wrong then let me know! I got a local quote of $1000 to do the swap (they estimated 8 hours labor plus all the fluids).

I'd like to support the club's vendors if possible. The problem is that I would need to trailer the car to the shop and I don't know anyone who is local to Casco/Raymond/Windham. I'd like to not spend a ton of money trailering the car to a faraway shop if I can help it.

Advice?

SurlyOBS

The Fozzie is gonna be at Mikey Meyagi's tomorrow. Thanks Mike for getting right back to me. Thanks to everyone else for being super helpful. I really feel the support of the club and I appreciate it. Now I have to start showing up at more of these meet and greets.

inski

Have Mike look it over well. He can recognize a head gasket leak. You might not need them. Double check the timing on crash car engines. If the timing cover is busted or buckled or damaged in any way might as well pull it all off and check timing and all the pulleys. Over the years we sent back approx 25% of the engines from salvage yards due to cam/pulley/valve/head damage due to stuff impacting the timing cover.

Matt

if you just scrap the old motor due it being blown and such, and the cams are alright, you think you could part with them before you ditch it...im looking to get an extra set that i can send out to delta.....

SurlyOBS

I'm not sure what went wrong inside, or what I'm gonna do with it. If I ditch it then you have first dibs.

SurlyOBS

Wow, Mikey Meyagi did a great job with the Fozzie! She runs better then ever and now has a 71K mile motor instead of a 190K motor. A big THANKS to Mikey for fixing it. I know where I'll be getting all of my work done on my car from now on.

Thanks again Mike!

Latest posts

Back