Taiden's DIY Cheapo Mudflaps

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Here's my quick writeup of my DIY mudflaps. Total cost including everything $18 (18 wheeler 1/4" thick mudflap + hardware)
default_banana.gif

DSCN0394.jpg

DSCN0404.jpg

THE MATERIALS: a bigass mudflap for an 18 wheeler (from NAPA, just ask for the biggest one they got... $12). THIS THING IS HUGE! That's a 36" yardstick layed out on it.

three strips of thin sheet metal ($0.10 a piece at my hardware store)

8 1" sheet metal screws

2 2.5" sheet metal screws

2 1" nylon spacers

10 fender washers

Tools:

a box cutter with a fresh blade

a yardstick/meterstick

drill

screwdriver

Mounting Instructions: THANK YOU RALLY ARMOR!

LINK

DSCN0395.jpg

CUT EXACTLY IN HALF

DSCN0396.jpg

CUT EXACTLY INTO QUARTERS

DSCN0398.jpg

this **** is THICK!

DSCN0399.jpg

What we're going for

DSCN0400.jpg

Lay the fronts on the rears so you can copy the curve

DSCN0402.jpg

Curve copied

DSCN0403.jpg

Curve copied on both rears. Later you will copy the curves on both sides... you'll see what I mean.

DSCN0405.jpg

Cut your sheet metal about this big

DSCN0406.jpg

Fold it over and drill a smaller hole... I went two sizes smaller than my sheet metal screws. Your sheet metal screws will tap it and you want a real tight fit so your fasteners last long.

I have no pictures of fitment because there is no way I can help you over the internet after this point. You'll do it if you can do it, you won't if you can't. For me it's really easy, might be different for you. But here is more or less what my fronts looked like before I mounted them.

DSCN0407.jpg

I mounted them per RALLY ARMOR's directions. I figured if anyone knew anything about mounting mud flaps for street use, they would.

http://www.rallyarmor.com/store/gc8_instructions/rallyarmor_GC8_classic_mud_flap_mounting_instructions.pdf

DSCN0412.jpg

The rear installed. I wanted to keep the inside from flapping so I drilled a hole in the neighboring seam and threaded a ziptie through it. I also used the predrilled hole in the napa mud flap to mount the top.

SOME PICS INSTALLED

20954592.jpg

66237250.jpg

img0236k.jpg

img0237qq.jpg

Stein

Stein
Dan, do you think you could repost your "RA-style" stencils in here? I got a 24" x 24" and in order to get bigger flaps than 12"x12" I want to make them that shape, and not waste material on the inside of the wheel well.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Dan, do you think you could repost your "RA-style" stencils in here? I got a 24" x 24" and in order to get bigger flaps than 12"x12" I want to make them that shape, and not waste material on the inside of the wheel well.
Lost my original pics, will try and get new ones posted this weekend.

Mighty Subie

Sorry to bring a long dead thread back, but I made some like this out of some heavy old conveyor belt. they worked great. The problem with them being long like this was that I got one of them caught between my tire and the back edge of a hole I was backing through and it ripped the thing off. Another time I pinched it between my tire and the curb and it came off again. Thankfully mine were easily reattached but that's not the point. Just throwing that out there to be careful of. Good job though.

i-wagon

If I were to build another set I'd make them go higher up the wheel well and half an inch wider

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Good write up! 12$ and some ghetto-fab beats paying 150$ in my book. I made my fronts 12x12 and the rears 12x12.75 long. Like I-wagon said,id make mine a bit longer next time.. Mabey 15", so they come up higher in the wheel well.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
If you make them long, watch out that they don't catch when you're backing up.

I ripped a fender off at an autocross due to a cone making sweet love to my mudflap and tire.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Make sure theres plenty of clearance between the ground and the bottom of the flaps. I mounted mine a little too low apparently because I had two get pulled off yesterday backing over the bank at the end of my driveway. Anybody know how far down R.A flaps come down?

KamB

Kam Berry
I just made some also. Out of a couple old dodge floor mats. Curves are perfect, ill post pics If I can figure out how. Only made two cuts, the rest of the angles were premade by coincidence. Used some 10mm bolts and washers to hold them into my fenders, and they measure 4" up from the ground to the bottom of the flap. Good size and works really well, I made them wide.... Stick out about 2" past the fenders. Keeps it nice and clean. Pretty thin material also.

Vegasjetta

Nice to see the car on the boat ramp half in the water. That makes the guessing about the rust easier. I have had this car since June 2011, I bought it from Taiden. The rear mudflaps were in the trunk because the hardware he used worked but wasn't rugged enough. They are on now, using big bolts, nuts, and washers and have held up nicely.

Also, the car looks 100% different from the above pics. Added a roof rack, lifted it, different wheels/tires, plasti-dipped it matte black so it's one color, and many other things.

Latest posts

Back