The dreaded gas smell

4WRXter

Skier!
Our 2004 Forester XT has developed a gas smell, mostly when it is cold, just like the '02 WRX's do/did. I suspect it is the same fuel hose contracting issue. Is that a known issue with other models? I also realize it could quite possibly be the fact that the car is 9yrs old with 150k(ish) miles and the fuel hoses should be replaced. I haven't looked all that close at it. Does the intake manifold need to come off to do the replacement?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Tighten all the fuel hose clamps on the intake manifold. There are the two for fuel inlet and return on the top driver's side, then down by the injectors on the fuel rails there are more hose clamps. 90% of the time tightening all those will make it stop.

4WRXter

Skier!
Thanks Chris. I'll check those as soon as I can be outside without my fingers going numb in 30 seconds

4WRXter

Skier!
Dave; MAYBE 9*, but add in the 10-20 mph breeze, years of frosted fingertips, and it don't take long for my fingers to go numb. And I am at the store until 7pm. WAH_WAH_WAH!!!!!!1

And BTW, don't believe everything you read on the internets.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did this to my wife's 01 Outback.  Same thing, started when really cold out.  Was bad enough she had to drive with the windows down last week.  Since tightening haven't had a problem.  This weeks cold will be the test.

4WRXter

Skier!
I just did this to my wife's 01 Outback.  Same thing, started when really cold out.  Was bad enough she had to drive with the windows down last week.  Since tightening haven't had a problem.  This weeks cold will be the test.

[/quote/]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Did you have to remove anything to get to all the clamps?

I tightened the clamps I could, but there are some under the intake manifold that I can see, but the clamps/screws are upside-down. By that I mean the screw heads are facing down. It looks to me that I would have to dis-assemble the manifold and some of the fuel system to get to those.

This morning I took a few minutes to take a closer look and smell. It seems like the odor is the worst just to the left of the alternator. I couldn't really SEE anything there. Does anyone know if there is something I should be looking for in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:

SUBARUDE

The clamps that leak most of the time are right behind the power steering pump and thigh ting won't help cause the clamps are usaully bottomed out the easiest way to fix it is to pull the whole intake and replace the 2 pieces of 3"-4" hose

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
You can replace those without pulling the intake. It's not very fun, but it's possible. Helps to remove the PS pump.

SUBARUDE

You can replace those without pulling the intake. It's not very fun, but it's possible. Helps to remove the PS pump.
That might be fine on a n/a car but turbo cars have a inlet tube in the way and that's probably why he can't see the leak

4WRXter

Skier!
The clamps that leak most of the time are right behind the power steering pump and thigh ting won't help cause the clamps are usaully bottomed out the easiest way to fix it is to pull the whole intake and replace the 2 pieces of 3"-4" hose
Doesn't sound very EASY to me.
default_smile.png
But thanks for the direction.

4WRXter

Skier!
I probably can under better weather conditions. Going to take it to a local and see what he can do.

flat4awd

Owl's Auto JDM
My RS smells bad sometimes after I fill it up, I will use your advice Mr. Gaberu. And the mechanical part applies to me as well...
default_wink.png

I did my wife's in near zero weather, in my overalls, with gloves on.  I didn't get some of the ones that were upside down.  I think I missed two out of all the ones I can see.  We have yet to smell gas again.  Tighten what you can and see if it helps.  It doesn't take much of a leak anywhere to smell in the cabin,

One of the ones behind the power steering bracket could be accessed if you drill a small hole in that bracket and get a screw driver in there.  Get a long phillips and go at it.

Latest posts

Back