Time for a new clutch, what do you guys reccomend?

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Yep, starting to slip once I hit boost.

Not going oem, need a nice aftermarket. I dont know much about clutches so some experience and info would be seriously appreciated!

What im looking for is something streetable, preferably without a heavy ass pedal (dd), but can take its fair share of shit (My car may see a few passes down oxfords dragstrip this summer, as well as a rallyx/autox)

What are the performance/durability/reliability difference between organic, carbon, and cerametallic disks? What sort of pressure plate should be mated with what disk? Would i be better off buying a kit or buying the disk and plates differently? As you can see im pretty clueless to this stuff, so any infos appreciated. Thanks!

i-wagon

Are you really going to bee that hard on it with that high mileage? I'd do an oe exedy kit

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Exedy Stage One....good tradeoff between sturdiness and affordability. I ran a Stage One in my 2.5 RS spec rally car with zero problems.

We ran Exedy Hyperclutches in the STI rally car....about $1500 and they still blew up several times.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
The OEM clutch really isn't too bad. It is a whole lot easier and cheaper to replace than trans parts.  Think of it like a fuse. 

Matt

Right. It's better for a clutch to fail rather than the clutch being able to take all the abuse and something further down the drivetrain line giving up.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Are you really going to bee that hard on it with that high mileage? I'd do an oe exedy kit
I like to play, and its unavoidable having to replace things. Especially with my mileage. The meaty bits of the drivetrain are ticking timebombs already.. so its pretty much whatever to me. I thought about all this before i even bought the car, I had a general idea of what i was getting into.

I want something aftermarket because oem lgt/obxt clutches have a hard time with stage 2 power (along with intercoolers, bpvs..)

and im going to be getting tuned for a PW tmic and a short ram in the spring, oem just isn't gonna cut it for me.

Exedy stage one hm? Ill google. Is there a hp/tq rating on clutches?

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
For NA, stock exedy or exedy stage 1.

Turbo is can of worms. Normally I'd say whatever mikey recommends for aftermarket making power, but the point of high millage comes into play. Stock stuff is cheap, your call.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
the problem with the oem is the flywheel is a dual mass and cannot be machined, so your looking at a $450 flywheel right off the bat. if you get a 06- wrx clutch with a flywheel that will do away with the dual mass and cost you a lot less money. id go for a full face exedy disk, you can get it with a stiffer pressure plate to hold more power if you want, but that's up to you. also, theres the option of a competition clutch stg 3 which is a segmented full face. this isn't the crappy organic full face everyone seems to wear out prematurely, fluffy282 on here has that clutch in his car so maybe he will give his opinion on it. keep in mind, you want to get a clutch for a wrx not the obxt because the wrx uses the single mass flywheel so keep that in mind when shopping for clutches and the flywheel you will need.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
the problem with the oem is the flywheel is a dual mass and cannot be machined, so your looking at a $450 flywheel right off the bat. if you get a 06- wrx clutch with a flywheel that will do away with the dual mass and cost you a lot less money. id go for a full face exedy disk, you can get it with a stiffer pressure plate to hold more power if you want, but that's up to you. also, theres the option of a competition clutch stg 3 which is a segmented full face. this isn't the crappy organic full face everyone seems to wear out prematurely, fluffy282 on here has that clutch in his car so maybe he will give his opinion on it. keep in mind, you want to get a clutch for a wrx not the obxt because the wrx uses the single mass flywheel so keep that in mind when shopping for clutches and the flywheel you will need.
06+ wrx clutch and flywheel. Got it. Thanks mike, i like the sound of the competition stg 3 disc over the exedy.. But 1000$ is a lot to spend and still need a flywheel. You say the exedy stg1 full face organics are nice though? Kinda confused me.

05RSKID

I just bought a clutch and flywheel for my rs for 355 and free shiping. Exedy clutch and f1 flywheel

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Yeah my flywheel was machined when my 6spd swap was done and it sucked. It always chattered. So plan on replacing that too.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPETITION-CLUTCH-06-11-WRX-05-11-LGT-STAGE-3-CLUTCH-KIT-FLYWHEEL-15026-2600-/321053168593?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac04293d1&vxp=mtr

comes with flywheel. theres another ebay seller selling the same package with flywheel for 800. they include the flywheel because you need it to run a non stock clutch. the wrx flywheel might be dual mass as well, i cant remember....

i was giving you options, if you want oem drivability get the exedy

if you want a more aggressive setup get the CC. 

depends on your driving style and power goals really.

heres a exedy and it also comes with flywheel

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXEDY-CLUTCH-KIT-w-PPC-13-7LBS-FLYWHEEL-SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-LEGACY-GT-2-5L-TURBO-/121058686946?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2006%7CSubmodel%3AWRX&hash=item1c2fa8f7e2&vxp=mtr

Last edited by a moderator:

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Awesome thanks again. I think ill be going with the competiton, I just dont want a real lightwieght flywheel. The cons outwiegh the pros imo, the competition just comes with a steel unit

Latest posts

Back