Timing belt for 2.5?a

KamB

Kam Berry
Any idea what timing belt to use for a 2.5 block/ 2.2 head hybrid? Not sure if marks are different for them, don't want to deal with it being timed wrong hahah. Would just a 2.2 one work?

Matt

It won't run... Just go boom and then you go
default_frown.gif

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Yeah use the 2.2 timing kit and you'll be good to go. Cometic makes head gaskets for that motor set up now. So that all the coolant passages and everything line up correctly.

KamB

Kam Berry
It won't run... Just go boom and then you go
default_frown.gif
I would think if its only 1 tooth off on the belt it would still run, just like crap? Idk this is just my v8 knowledge, never messed with subaru timing.

Yeah use the 2.2 timing kit and you'll be good to go. Cometic makes head gaskets for that motor set up now. So that all the coolant passages and everything line up correctly.
Ohh no way nice ill have to look into that. Thanks for the tip.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Yep, just use the 2.2 timing stuff, it'll work fine. I've done it.

You can be off at least 3 teeth and not bend valves, at least from what I've seen... I got my outback with the belt off two teeth, it ran pretty crap, but it didn't hurt anything.

I didn't realize cometic made gaskets for this, but you can also just use the STi MLS gaskets, they'll work just fine. People have been doing this swap for a while, and no issues from just using a 2.5 headgasket.

KamB

Kam Berry
Yep, just use the 2.2 timing stuff, it'll work fine. I've done it.

You can be off at least 3 teeth and not bend valves, at least from what I've seen... I got my outback with the belt off two teeth, it ran pretty crap, but it didn't hurt anything.

I didn't realize cometic made gaskets for this, but you can also just use the STi MLS gaskets, they'll work just fine. People have been doing this swap for a while, and no issues from just using a 2.5 headgasket.
So, does this mean I can put the cam either advanced or retarded to move the powerband, such as is done on v8's?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
So, does this mean I can put the cam either advanced or retarded to move the powerband, such as is done on v8's?
This isn't a carbed SBC, this is a fine piece of fuel injected Japanese engineering...I've never heard of anyone doing this on subarus, and I can think of a few reasons it wouldn't work well. Mainly the computer is expecting the cam and crank sensors to be doing the same thing at the same time, and when they don't, it goes into run like shit mode.

Just get a set of delta re-grind cams for it.

KamB

Kam Berry
This isn't a carbed SBC, this is a fine piece of fuel injected Japanese engineering...

I've never heard of anyone doing this on subarus, and I can think of a few reasons it wouldn't work well. Mainly the computer is expecting the cam and crank sensors to be doing the same thing at the same time, and when they don't, it goes into run like shit mode.

Just get a set of delta re-grind cams for it.
Hahah i wasn't going to do it, just a question. But good point. I did not think of the computer aspect, that would make it run like crap.

JoshP

which HG are you using?  I've used 2.5 belt and tensioner with phase 2 thin gaskets, and 2.2 belt with phase 1 thick gasket. 

JoshP

I used thick 2.5 gasket and 2.2 belt.

cool, yea that's the best setup imo, everything lines up better and compression is more reasonable.  Its also less prone to interference, probably not even interference engine at all. 

KamB

Kam Berry
cool, yea that's the best setup imo, everything lines up better and compression is more reasonable. Its also less prone to interference, probably not even interference engine at all.
Unfortunately it still is, just barely though. Oh well.

Latest posts

Back