Timing belt tensioner failure

WRB_Tank

Hey guys I just picked up a 01 OBS with the 2.2 engine. It has had tensioner failure. I want to fix it to be a driver for my fiancé. Does tensioner failure indicate larger problems or is there a way to tell if valves or anything else got wrecked?

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
given the interference engine survived..

if its passenger side I'd be worried...as there is no real problems in heat battles. check cam drag, oil pressure/reliefs/pump

drivers side has several insane heat keepers/thrashers, and a battle of colder than normal freshly cooled anitfreeze from the radiator going into the water pump...driver side will fail sooner.

upon a new one, grease going below -10f is not in any subaru. work in some synthetic to new parts if you can...even if it is a tiny opening, taking awhile.(even hp is increased doing so)

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
given the interference engine survived..

if its passenger side I'd be worried...as there is no real problems in heat battles. check cam drag, oil pressure/reliefs/pump

drivers side has several insane heat keepers/thrashers, and a battle of colder than normal freshly cooled anitfreeze from the radiator going into the water pump...driver side will fail sooner.

upon a new one, grease going below -10f is not in any subaru. work in some synthetic to new parts if you can...even if it is a tiny opening, taking awhile.(even hp is increased doing so)
Stop being stupid. If you're going to answer about EJ engines get the facts right. EJs only have ONE timing belt unlike the ea82.

The 2.2 97 and up are interference, but I have heard a few success stories about lost timing NOT bending valves. Gabe's 99 legacy lived a broken belt, so there's chance for it... No way to know really until you put a new belt on it.

Even if you did bend valves, ej22s are pretty easy to come by, even the phase2. I see them every now and again for sale or in junk yards. Also, if you can pull the heads yourself it isn't really that expensive to have them rebuilt.

WRB_Tank

I can definetly pull the heads np. I was thinking about just ditching the 2.2 and throwing a 2.5 I have lying around in....just don't know what kind of issues that would lead to...so was contemplating just making it easy on myself and fixing the 2.2

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
If you can do the valve job too, you're all set! Drop some delta cams in there while you're at it
default_additional_sillylol.gif

Slap on a belt first, there's a chance you didn't bend valves.

I think you can just drop a phase 2 ej25 in there, but I'm not completely sure. Wait for someone else to chime in on that. I only know about swapping phase 1 engines around.

WRB_Tank

Highly unlikely my fiancé needs delta grind cams in her obs. Not sure I want to spend money on a timing job if the engine is borked and I am gonna end up putting the 2.5 in....

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I hear ya on that one. You could always get someone's take-off timing belt and slap it on. Then you wouldn't be out any money if it didn't run. Still out an hour or so though

kblood477

I swapped phase2 2.5 into an obs with a 1.8 i dont kno if the 2.2 have the same wiring harness but the 1.8 to 2.5 swap was very easy only slight mods to the wiring harness were needed.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I swapped phase2 2.5 into an obs with a 1.8 i dont kno if the 2.2 have the same wiring harness but the 1.8 to 2.5 swap was very easy only slight mods to the wiring harness were needed.
What obs? I didn't think they had the 1.8 after 95 or something. Which was before the switch to phase2/SOHC.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
sorry your right its not actually an obs its a impreza outback before the "sport" its a 95
I wasn't getting on your case about the wrong name of the car. (me not being an DONKEY on the internet, hmm
default_additional_sillylol.gif
) I was trying to clarify that you just swapped a phase2 SOHC 2.5 into where the 1.8 was. I didn't think that would work because the phase2 uses a MAP, built in ignitor, etc... Anyway, we're hijacking this thread. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back