Tire Problem, bubbled sidewall

Iboc_C64

Hey guys. You know my luck. I can't seem to find a definitive answer to my question in a hurry. I have been too busy lately to research this so I figured I would just post and hope someone more informed than I could fill me in. Basically I have a set of Cooper Zeon 2XS 17" tires on the stock rims on my 2009 WRX. I hit a new pothole about a week and a half ago and the next day I hit it again before I smartened up and started driving around it. A couple days later my car had a slight shake to it and I noticed 2 bubbles on my outer sidewall of the front passenger side tire. I bought the tires at the end of last summer and ran winter tires all winter until about mid April. The tires are about 50% or less worn on the outside and maybe a little more on this inside. This car has always feathered or slightly cupped the inside of its tires despite alignments. My question is, being that this is a manual AWD car, can I just buy 2 of the same model and put them on the front until they are equally worn before I start rotating them again? I can't afford a complete set of 4 for at least another month, maybe 2. Thanks in advance.

brighton

Rally Fluffer
Hey guys. You know my luck. I can't seem to find a definitive answer to my question in a hurry. I have been too busy lately to research this so I figured I would just post and hope someone more informed than I could fill me in. Basically I have a set of Cooper Zeon 2XS 17" tires on the stock rims on my 2009 WRX. I hit a new pothole about a week and a half ago and the next day I hit it again before I smartened up and started driving around it. A couple days later my car had a slight shake to it and I noticed 2 bubbles on my outer sidewall of the front passenger side tire. I bought the tires at the end of last summer and ran winter tires all winter until about mid April. The tires are about 50% or less worn on the outside and maybe a little more on this inside. This car has always feathered or slightly cupped the inside of its tires despite alignments. My question is, being that this is a manual AWD car, can I just buy 2 of the same model and put them on the front until they are equally worn before I start rotating them again? I can't afford a complete set of 4 for at least another month, maybe 2. Thanks in advance.
Have the two new tires "shaved" to the depth of your current tires. There has been a lot of talk about binding of the drivetrain when having different tire depths.

It's that same thing with large tractors. If one goes the dealer tell you you need to buy all four new. But how many farmers really do this.

Iboc_C64

I thought there was a certain degree of tolerance on manual shift transmissions? Also, I live in farmington, where the hell do you get a tire shaved? I have never heard of such a thing, sounds like it would be worth my while to wait and hope it doesn't pop.

i-wagon

I'd heard 1/4 inch total rotational difference. Bubbled sideewall is a blown cord or something. Just buy 4 more and watch the holes

Last edited by a moderator:

Iboc_C64

After looking at my tires more carefully, the pair that has good sidewalls is about to hit the wear bars, so its probably not worth saving. I will buy 4 more, maybe something a little less soft and agressive this time. My driving habits aren't really as spirited as they use to be, I could probably live with something v rated that will last a lot longer than the coopers with their 280 treadwear rating. If I need to in the mean time I can swap to my winter tires & rims. They are pretty worn and need replacing too, but they have enough meat to them that I could get them through most inspection stations. Thanks for the advice guys, I didn't know you could shave a tire, pretty informative.

scooby RS

for future refference, subarus are aloud 2-3/32nds difference, before drivetrain failure. that's what the dealer has told us at our shop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back