Tire selection: Sumitomo or Kumho?

Evan

i'm looking at either the Sumitomo HTR Z II or the Kumho Ecsta ASX for the wrx. The kumhos are another $90 for the set, which i would do if they are really that much better, but i'd also like to save the money. The reviews on tirerack are better for the kumhos, but not by a huge margin. the tread wear is also better (420 vs. 220) but that can be fudged a fair amount by the tire company, and theres a chance kumhos marketing department is fudging more than sumitomo. if they are the same, the kumhos are a better deal because they would last almost twice as long.

the use is going to be a lot of cruising with a fair amount of spirited driving and some auto-x.

Sumitomo, specs: 220 AA A

su_htrz_ii.jpg

Kumho, specs: 420 AA A

ku_ecsta_asx_ci2_l.jpg

P

patriotparts

I have the sumitumos and have no problems with them there are really nice tires

mikebike357

I have Kumho Ecsta ASX (215/45R17) on the WRX and they squeal like a stuck pig going around corners that's my biggest beef.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I would say Kumho SPT's Have them on the GLI and they are awesome and they are ordered for the WRX.

mikebike357

Don't get me wrong... I like teh Kumho... just be prepared for squealage.... if I had to go back again and buy tires, i'd buy another set of BFG Traction T/A's... They DON'T squeal and grip like mad. Plus they've lasted a helluva long time.

P

patriotparts

BFG traction TA's are very nice and the last long but there kinda pricey, but its worth it if you dont have to replace them every two years

Evan

so nobody's totally against either tire? if that's the case it just comes down to tire wear. does anyone believe/not believe that they actually do last twice as long for the same amount of traction?

if they do last that much longer than i'll get the kumhos and save money in the long run.

P

patriotparts

Kumhos will last longer, ive had my sumos for like 30k then they needed replacing

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
well you work in the parts department.. I would figure you would know how long they typically last

P

patriotparts

oooohhh well ive seen those last 60k, typically they last about 50k depending on driving, alignment, and rotation

patsti

NitrousFed
i really like my falken 615's but would go with the kumho supra 712 they seem to last and are ok(cheap too) my friend has them on his supra.

internalcombust

If you are considering kuhmos i would recomend the ecsta 711. I have on my wrx wagon and they are great! They grip very well and make little noise when pushed. My friend ran them on his gulf last two summers, that's a long time for him. He usually only gets one summer on rubber. Go to tire-easy.com they are only like 56 bucks a piece. I got 4 225 45 17 fro 276 shipped to my house. They are wearing well. they are a summer tire only though, but for that price you can afford to buy snows as well.

Latest posts

Back