Tire selection: Sumitomo or Kumho?

internalcombust

Sounds like price is definately a factor. Check out tire-easy.com before you order from tire rack. The tires there are cheaper for the same thing.

patsti

NitrousFed
yeah tire rack is expensive i was just posting some ideas... you do get what you pay for when it comes to tires.

ralli

i'm looking at either the Sumitomo HTR Z II or the Kumho Ecsta ASX for the wrx. The kumhos are another $90 for the set, which i would do if they are really that much better, but i'd also like to save the money. The reviews on tirerack are better for the kumhos, but not by a huge margin. the tread wear is also better (420 vs. 220) but that can be fudged a fair amount by the tire company, and theres a chance kumhos marketing department is fudging more than sumitomo. if they are the same, the kumhos are a better deal because they would last almost twice as long.

the use is going to be a lot of cruising with a fair amount of spirited driving and some auto-x.

Sumitomo, specs: 220 AA A

su_htrz_ii.jpg

Kumho, specs: 420 AA A

ku_ecsta_asx_ci2_l.jpg
Kumho SPT's FTW!!!!

ralli

if you are going for one or the other the cumhoes are better. advans ftw
I am still talking an inexpesive good tire.. advans.. not so much.. and if we are going that route the Bridgestone Potenza 01R's are better.... More overall grip.. and much more inexpensive...

The Kumho SPT's are what a lot of national autocross guys use for a rain tire, and they are very affordable which is awesome too.

ruggedman

I will chime in on albeit with no experiance with the two tires you orginally mentioned.

I owned a set of 712's they were the worst tires i've ever had, I actually like my RE92's more, no joke! The 712s were fine new, but they became complete piles after about 5k miles, and were completely bald after 15k.

I replaced them with Fuzion ZRi's which i would recommend to anyone! They wear like iron, they're great in the rain, they took me through 2 auto-x's last year and i liked them in that even. For the price they're a great tire.

ralli

I will chime in on albeit with no experiance with the two tires you orginally mentioned.

I owned a set of 712's they were the worst tires i've ever had, I actually like my RE92's more, no joke!

R

redlinerally

Actually, chris Moberg likes the ZR1's quite a bit. I was selling a set last fall, and he was commenting how good of a tire it was.

Let me try to find the quote...

"I dont run 17 in wheels, but I do have the same tire mounted on my Saab in a 205/50-15. They are a good performance tire. Somebody pick these up....."

Latest posts

Back